• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Procrastination Almost Killed Me

So this forum has helped me feel not so alone, as I'm sitting in the hospital right now I decided that it was time to join up and share my story. I started having diarrhea about 2 years ago now and knew something was wrong but didn't do anything about it. About 1 1/2 years ago I started to have pretty severe stomach problems where I could not eat anything without it coming back up. I still have issues with certain foods not sitting well and coming back up, to date over the last 1 1/2 years I have lost a total of 200lbs (without trying to lose the weight). Now to my more immediate issues. I first noticed that I had a pain in my perianal area about 2 months ago, did alot of research and figured out that I had an abscess. It hurt more than anything I could have ever imagined, but stubbornly I did nothing. It burst by itself about a month ago and the pain almost completely subsided. Well about 2 weeks ago the pain came back and my wife MADE me come into the hospital last Thur. (Oct. 31st), I had a ct scan and the surgeon came in and told me I had 2 abscesses and that I needed to have them drained and packed. I had surgery on Fri and found out that the abscess on my right side was the size of a softball and I had another the size of a golfball. I was in surgery for about 6 hours and also had an ileostomy because my wound is so large my doc said it would never heal if I was having normal bm's. Sorry to ramble on and on but I just feel so alone right now, sitting in the hospital by myself, kids and wife at home :( Thanks for reading, I would love to talk to anyone about this so any ?'s feel free to ask. I'm sure I left out some details (pretty tired right now).

Hi jdave420. I know that feeling of being in the hospital and not having anyone to talk to. At least with semi-private rooms we had someone to talk to.

I had surgery 3 years ago and spent almost a week in the hospital. That was my last hospitalization.

How much pain do you have now?

I'm suprisingly not in that much pain at all. I have a wound-vac hooked up to me and as long as I'm on my side and not sitting I'm doing pretty well. Yea my Doc says I'll be in here until Mon at the earliest, so like 10+ days :(. One of the hardest parts so far is that this is very scary for me and nobody around to talk to about it. I HAD (past tense thank god) necrotizing fasciitis, I also have very severe anxiety so that is not helping right now. My Doc says most likely recovery will take about 4 months or so and I am just feeling so overwhelmed right now. I just started prednisone iv yesterday and the gi doc wants me on pentasa (very very anxious about taking meds so I haven't started it yet). They also have me on some pretty strong antibiotics iv. Sorry again to ramble :D

I had a peri anal cyst back in 1985 followed by a fistula afterwards so 2 operations. I was septic by the time I was on operating table...lots of fun... Painful I do remember. Diagnosed with UC and then just a year ago they said its Crohn's. So I have been treating wrong disease all these years. Now I have a stricture from scar tissue so I need to have operation soon but I am finding out on 19th when I sit down with surgeon if it will be resection or colectomy. I am praying its resection. I am not ready for colectomy...Ahhh like anyone really ever is right? I always have good results on prednisone. Stress doesn't help but how can you not worry...it's all very scary. It sounds like they are doing all the right things..I've always had luck on prednisone. They don't usually keep you on high doses for long. You will feel better soon after taking it I bet. It always gave me lots of energy. I just wish I didn't gain weight on it. Small price to pay to feel better. I take Aza. Seems to be working for me...knock wood. Good luck. Try not to worry too much about meds. Once you get it under control maybe you can taper to lesser dose. Keep us posted.

Thanks for replying, I am worried about the meds but like you say it seems they are doing all the right things. My gi doc seems very knowledgeable. Like you say though it's impossible not to worry. It's just all new and scary for me right now. Thanks for the input.

Glad you are feeling better! I know its hard but do your best to not think about it and try and focus on the positive things. Think about how you're going to get better. I know where you're coming from with the anxiety. I always over analysis everything and think of the worse case scenario and freak myself out. I was in the same boat as you with the procrastination. I had diarrhea and symptoms for YEARS before I realized I couldn't live like this any longer. Wishing you a speedy recovery and welcome to the forum!

(Btw Bleach is awesome, love your avatar!)

Thanks! I've been trying to think of the best, but when you have such a long and hard road ahead it's hard to see anything but negative :(. I'm just trying to take it day by day right now (having a very hard time sleeping without my wife here). Thanks again.