• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Proctectomy and hairloss?

Hi, just wondering if anyone has had hairloss after having their ileostomies made permanent? I lost loads of hair after my ileostomy and sub total colectomy for about 5 months afterwards not sure what caused it stress, treatment or what I was going through. My hair has stopped falling out and is thicker on top than the bottom it's shoulder length and no where neither how it used to be. It was thick now it's so thin. I can't afford for it too fall out again after this next one that would just make it even worse than what it is now:( we go through enough without hair falling out as well. Think it's much harder on us girls though :(:( scared of everything and this is just adding to it.

annawato

Staff member
Rachel I always lose loads of hair when I'm sick and like you now its growing back so its thicker on top. You can actually see the line of regrowth! For awhile I had wispy bits sticking up everywhere, now I have a 2 inch fringe! I think the body just puts its energy into the most important things or maybe its a nutritional thing - my albumin and iron and potasssium are always low by the time I get to hospital. Since I've had the ileostomy its been growing back so I think its more to do with being sick. Maybe cos you were so sick before your op it caused your hair to fall out. It won't necessarily happen next time cos you wont be so ill. Fingers crossed anyway. :).
Lucky you to have thick hair to start. Mine is naturally thin so losing some was not a good look, haha.

Thank you I'm lucky in that sense I'm hoping it won't happen again otherwise it's getting chopped short :( I don't want too but it would be better... Yeah I had loads sticking up but not so much now still incredibly thin. I've heard the anaesthetic can make your hair fall out though correct me if I'm wrong plz. Just takes time to grow it stopped falling may last yr and its 9 months ago! thanks for advice and info. You getting yours reversed or not? Fingers and everything else crossed my hair doesn't fall out I'm trying to grow it it's right length but need it thicker to how it was before coz I want it layered.

Thinking about it, before I was diagnosed when I was really unwell, my hair got really thin. So Anna is probably right that it is to do with you being unwell. My hairdresser even commented when my hair felt more healthy again!

I lost mine after my first op too. It was so bad I bought a wig to go out in so people didn't stare. It grew back great so I was worried about losing it again. Luckily it was fine this time, but I have maintained my weight so I must be getting the nutrients I need. Also, I am not on any meds.

It was really bad with me too thought I was going to have too chop it short I had bald patches when you moved it. I'm on no meds either and according to my nan's scales I'm over 7 stone my normal weight :) hopefully it will be like yours and be ok... Our stories are very similar. My fingers are crossed. xx

I know getting closer eek :-( I know it's gone too quick lol I think it does once your older. Seems to go slow when your little and fly by when your older lol xx

annawato

Staff member
You getting yours reversed or not? Fingers and everything else crossed my hair doesn't fall out I'm trying to grow it it's right length but need it thicker to how it was before coz I want it layered.
At his stage not getting reversed but I have to talk to my GI and surgeon - see what they think. I don't see my GI til end of March and I'm not keen on seeing my surgeon cos he is a dick. But I'll make an appt on Monday to see him.

The first time I lost so much hair I had to get it cut quite short. This time I'm just waiting it out.

Good luck let me know how you get on. It'll be a yr in may that's it's stopped falling out and that's when they going to operate if its not changed. Maybe if I try not to worry so much easier said than done but maybe that will make a difference too