• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Proctectomy in 4 weeks

Hi I've got my proctectomy op on 2nd may scared of everything it'll soon be here. I've heard they may move my stoma is this true?? My mam also wants me bk to work 3 weeks after surgery but I can't see it being that quick tbh. She doesn't want me on sick pay either that's why she wants me to be at work so quick.... Depends how my body is and if its anything like last time I'll be really really weak. Really really stressed can't stop thinking about it all am so tired coz I'm not sleeping :(:(:(

Astra

Good Luck Rachel, try not to fret, and to be brutally honest, this isn't your Mam's shout! xxx

Thank you and I know I have a new manger at work think that's what she is thinking. I'll have to wait and see how I am after surgery..

I've managed to persuade my mam with sick pay saying about my wage slips and needing to send them off so I can get sick pay:) I'll need to ring them up. But she said I might only be weak for a week or so.... Don't believe it tbh. Thanks for everything you guys means sooo much to me :) where would I be without you guys. Thank you :)

Has she ever had ANY kind of surgery???? Only weak for a week or so?? Geez Louise!! It's more likely 6 weeks or more of weakness. You should definitely plan on 4 weeks minimum away from work and even after that you aren't going to be feeling spry.

Good luck to you on your surgery. Things will go smoothly, betcha betcha! Remember, you have already had the most difficult part done with placement of the stoma. The rest will leave you plenty sore, but you won't have all of the adjustments to make in dealing with a new stoma and your body freaking out over its new construction.

No she hasn't had any kind of surgery. Thanks for everything she said she's not going to do everything for me again like last time. She said coz I'm not 5 stone anymore it will be easier to recover from... I'll let you all know how it goes

I wish I could offer you more comfort. As with most here on the forum, I certainly understand the apprehension and fear associated with an upcoming surgery. I agree with 2thFairy that things will go smoothly and will soon be in the past. Please accept my post as a big hug from the other side of the pond. :)

I just did a bit a research on the internet and it seems many suggest six weeks as just an average time before one can go back to work. I wonder if your GI Dr. or surgeon could give you an estimate that would help your mother to understand.

Hey, you'll be fine. I had mine in december along with bowel resection. I was back to work in 5 weeks. Maybe your 3 week's a little early. Have the proctectomy isn't to bad. Sore to sit for a while though lol. The hospital gave me a special cushion that plugged into the electric. Didn't help much, found it better laying on my side. Trust me, I've been there and the anticipation is worse than the op. It's painful but not as much as you think. Good luck with the op. I'm sure your be fine. I'll have my fingers crossed for you

Why would they move your stoma? The proctectomy should not interfere with the stoma at all? I bet your mam will help you, I am sure she just wants you to recover quickly so you can move on. Nearly time for your pre op, then it will be here and sorted before you know it. Stay positive hun, it makes all the difference xxx

Thanks everyone the surgeon has said 4 weeks off work but its just an estimate I'm a bit worried about coz I work in a shop. Erm Kaz not sure they never mentioned anything to me about it to me somebody else did when I said do you see Stoma nurse while your in there. I hope she does help me coz it'll take me forever to do things lol. Thanks everyone! My pre op is a week today! Never heard of a plug in cushion lol what was that supposed to do xx

Everything went fine I've got the go ahead for surgery on may 2nd :(:( the only thing they needed were my notes but the secretary had them just couldn't get hold of her. But they let me go coz we told them what I was having done so they knew enough info. They took 4 tubes of blood from me :(

Good, that is that out of the way hun. I am coming up to my year anniversary in a few weeks! Are they taking you in the day before? They asked me to go in the day before but my surgeon popped along and said go home and come back the next day. It was very stressful going in and then having to come back. Keep your head up xxx

Thank you and happy anniversary :) lol erm no am going in on morning of may 2nd been told to be there for 8am. My arms are aching from needles :( they always struggle to get blood from me but took two goes so not too bad. Soon be here :-(

Yes, it seemed along way off and now it is only a few weeks away. Keep well, and keep busy so you don't worry xxx

Thank you will do I'm 7 stone 2 bk to my normal weight now but was hoping to put some more so if I lose some it won't be so bad. I'm trying and trying but not happening lol. Did you have to swab near your stoma for mrsa? Hurt when she done it:/ xx

No, a groin swab :eek2: and the mouth. I didn't lose any weight. I was eating normally very quickly. Could do with losing some now !! Xxx

Yeah I had to do groin, nose and stoma swab :/ the nurse said she hasn't come across any stoma's with mrsa lol aww good to hear you didn't lose any. Haha can I have some of yours lol jokes :) xx

No I don't mean that, be careful what you wish for lol - I will stay this weight if I am healthy :ysmile: xxx

Did they swab inside the stoma? I have never heard of that. Stomas are delicate and do bleed easily. Hope you are ok xxx

Somebody else on this forum also had the inside swabbed for MRSA before surgery. Don't remember who, though.

I don't think it is common practice, but obviously some places require it. Sorry to hear that it caused you pain, CheerBear!

Seems to me that with stomas, they could just take a sample out of our bags. Easier and more definitive than other collections. .....they really should ask us what we think.... we are the cool kids, ya know. ;)

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
Back to work 3 weeks after surgery? That's nuts! I know I have had complications, but even without them I couldn't imagine having to go back to work yesterday. I still have pain at times(mostly the rear end). I'm still exhausted at times and I nap doing the day. My doctor has told me 8 weeks minimum.

Thanks and hope pain goes away soon. Hope your getting better and better as days go by I know it will be longer than that she's hoping it won't be tho. After my last one it was 3 and a half months after surgery I went bk. I didn't stop sleeping during day for 3 months! x

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
Hopefully all will go well for you and you will be feeling pretty good by 3 weeks post op.

Why would they move your stoma? The proctectomy should not interfere with the stoma at all? I bet your mam will help you, I am sure she just wants you to recover quickly so you can move on. Nearly time for your pre op, then it will be here and sorted before you know it. Stay positive hun, it makes all the difference xxx
I must be in a silly mood (no MMJ yet), but that stool sample pic just cracks me up. thanks so much for the chuckle. :thumright:

PsychoJane

Waw... I had to do the swab test on my stoma, was it for mrsa or erv, that I can't recall but mine was just a roll on and around the stoma with no pressure. I'm sorry to hear they managed hurting you doing it...
Good luck with the surgery!!