• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Proctitis diagnosis

Hi everyone! I'm 30 years old, and from Montreal, Quebec. :)

Here is my story:

I had a baby in November 2007, and she was a big baby (10 lbs!) She was born naturally so you can imagine the trauma that caused. ;) Afterward I started suffering with really painful bowel movements and lots of bleeding. (On the stool, and in the toilet, and toilet paper...always bright red). Needless to say I freaked out and told my OBGYN who examined me and told me I had anal fissures. She prescribed creams and foams and nothing worked. I thought, f that, I'll just deal with it. FIVE years went by, and it became increasingly harder to deal with it. I had gas, stomach cramps....really painful ones, the bleeding, and going for a bowel movement felt like I was giving birth all over again. It hurt, it was big, I bled, and I sometimes wouldn't go for 2 days! I finally brought this up to my gyno, and he suggested I see a gastroenterologist. I had a colonoscopy a year ago, and was diagnosed with proctitis. I started taking mezavant (2 pills/day) and salofalk (2 pills/day) right away but the 2 combined cause me to have extreme back pain. Apparently it's a rare side effect and I'm not surprised I was affected since I'm super sensitive to meds. I was then told to stop the salofalk and to just take the 2 mezavant. That didn't seem to be enough since I still experienced bleeding so I was bumped up to 4/day which is the max. So far, I still have gas, and stomach pain issues but the bleeding and pain during my bowel movements have pretty much gone away. I've always been a tired person due to my insomnia issue but these days I'm completely exhausted. I have joint pain in my knees which I now discovered could be due to this disease, go figure! As well, I now go to the bath room anywhere from 2-5 times a day. Is that even normal??? Also, not that long ago I had a lot of bleeding that lasted 4 days. I ended up in emergency and I was told it was either a flare or an anal fissure. I really find it hard to believe it was a fissure since this was the same type of bleeding I had pre-diagnosis, and when the bleeding started the stool was soft and normal, how could that cause a tear? Anyhoo, I was prescribed cortifoam and all the bleeding went away.

I still have a lot of questions and it's been so interesting to read other experiences, especially when it comes to symptoms. I see my GI every 6 months now and I actually have an appointment with her on Monday where I'll bring up my most recent bleeding episode.

I welcome all advice, and look forward to getting to know all of you! :)

scottsma

Welcome Mtlchick.I too have Proctitis and it's a pain in the bum alright.Proctitis is inflammation of the rectum,usually the first few inches.The bleeding is caused by this inflammation.Usually,there is also mucus present.Going to the loo frequently is common,I go up to 6-8 times in the morning whether I'm "flaring"or not.Urgency is also a rather stressful side affect.Meds will usually get things under control pretty quickly.I use Asacol suppositories daily and also Loparomide tablets to help the frequent bathroom visits.But everyones different,and what works for some people,doesn't work for others.It's trial and error I'm afraid.Diet also, is for me, a big part in managing things.There are lots of things that don't agree with me.Yet again,trial and error.I was dx'd in 2006,and luckily,it's stayed on an even keel.with just an occasional nasty flare.Then I up the Asacol (excuse the pun) and eat bland food,until it settles.Do you have an I.B.D nurse at your hospital that you could speak to if you have concerns.? We have them over here,and they are invaluable.I hope today is a good day for you.You'll be glad you joined the forum for lots of support and advice.

Hi there, i too have a nasty case of proctitis and i suffer from chronic constipation sometimes because of it. i nearly always strain when going to the toilet and sometimes it feels like im pushing a football through a pin hole. I take asacol suppositaries and salofak anema when i start to get a bit of blood and usually clears most of it within a couple of days and it becomes slightly easier to pass stool.
I find my symptoms get much worse if i drink alcohol. even 1 drink and my rectum starts bleeding and i have to start all over again.
The person above is right, its all about trial and error to see whats easier for you. anyway best of luck :)

Thanks to both of you! :)

Scottsma, we don't have IBD nurses here but rather a general help line that answers all medical questions 24/7. I did call them during my most recent flare. I have been able to call and leave a message for my GI doc directly and she has called me back.

Danico, I had the constipation thing pre-diagnosis. Wouldn't go for days. The way you described how it feels to actually go (football through a pin hole lol) is SUPER accurate. It was like giving birth all over again except through a different hole. ;)

It's funny you mention the alcohol thing because there was a night ( I think pre-diagnosis) where I went out for more than a few drinks, and when I came home I felt like I had to go # 2. I pushed to go but nothing came out, but when I got up there was tons of blood. It was unreal! Ever since being on medication though that hasn't happened.

To give you an update to my story above, I ended up having my colonoscopy today to verify why I had that 4 day bleed. My inflammation is better than a year ago, so my doc thinks it was a flare. She said had she went in and looked during the flare it would have looked like it did a year ago. I have to stick taking my 4 mezavant a day, and try and reduce my stress since that can cause flares.

scottsma

Thanks for the update.It sounds as though you're being looked after ok.?Are you feeling any better?It's difficult to give advice as no two people have the same symptoms.It's really trial and error.Take note of what you eat and drink,and see what makes you feel unwell.Avoiding stress is easier said than done,haha.I mean who would choose to be stressed ???But it can be a big factor.I hope you get things under control soon.Lots of people don't flare for months or even years.I hope you're one of them.One day at a time .