• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Proctitis

Hello all! I have been lurking in this forum for around 3 months without posting much.
I had my colonoscopy today which I was diagnosed with the following:
Ulcerated mucosa in my rectum- biopsies taken.
Scattered areas of erythematous mucosa in the rectum and recto-sigmoid colon- biopsies taken.
I also had two polyps that were removed. My terminal ileum appeared normal but biopsies were taken.
I had a quick chat to my surgeon afterwards and she believes it to be Proctitis.

My symptoms started with occasional blood in my stools in January which led to constipation/diarrhea, urgency to go to the toilet which I would only pass blood and mucous. The mucous isn't so bad at present, just the blood. I also have intolerances to lactose, caffeine, orange juice, large amounts of chicken and eggs.

I don't know much about this at all as I've been reading more UC stuff. Is this the same or completely different?
I have to wait to see my surgeon again in two weeks for the biopsy results as well as a plan for my medication. Depending on the results, she or a gastroenterologist will then look after me.

Can anyone shed some light on my condition? Your symptoms and how you control it? Does this go into remission or will I need to live with it every day like this?

Thankyou so much in advance!!!

scottsma

I was dx'd with Proctitis over 6yrs ago.I presented with the same symptoms as yours.I am lucky as I can more or less control mine with Asacol suppositories,but I do have to be careful with diet.I also take loperamide to control the urgency.I have a flare once or twice a year,then I up the meds until it's under control again.Every body is different,so don't read too many horror stories on-line.I took about a month to get mine sorted once I was on the meds.Good Luck and keep us posted.We all help each other on here.Proctitis is a the lower end of the rectum by the way,but it can travel further up in time.Mine hasn't so far.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I was diagnosed with Proctitis this year. Can't shed a whole lot of light since I too am still learning. Doctor and I are still working together to get mine under control. Have an appointment with him on Thursday 4/11.

Thanks for the advice :) there doesn't seem to be too many horror stories with proctitis anyhow which is good!
Seeing my surgeon in a week and a bit so looking forward to seeing how we will tackle this.
I am so sore from my colonoscopy yesterday- all my lower abdomen is so sore I can't walk properly. Only my normal amount of blood loss and have been able to have a small runny poo earlier too- they told me it would probably be 2 or 3 days til I could go!

My formal diagnosis is proctitis. There was no evidence of crohns at this stage so treating it as UC related. I am starting pentasa suppositories tomorrow while I wait to see a gastroenterologist to treat me.
My symptoms are slowly getting worse- I'm now having to go to the toilet up to 5 times a night and up to 25 or so times all up in a 24 hour period. Most of this is blood, gas and mucous. Toilets are ruling my life at present and I just want to feel normal :(

With those symptoms, you should be on an oral medication--something like Pentasa, Delzicol, Apriso, Lialda, etc. The suppositories are probably helping some, but not enough.

I certainly feel for you. Been there!

Edit: I read that wrong. I thought you had already been on the suppositories for awhile. Hang in there!

Last edited: