• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Proctocolectomy Incision Opening

:depressed:
As you may know, I was just released from the hospital after my Proctocolectomy. As I was being discharged, I noticed my perianal incision had completely opened up. It looks like this shocking open wound where my anus used to be.

Luckly, I had read about this complication, so I did not freak out. If any of you have had this happen, please let me know all about it. How long did it take to close? Did it get infected? How did you treat it?, etc, etc.

So far, my poor wife has been packing it with gauze 2-3 times a day. It is very uncomfortable to sit, as you might imagine. Please tell me this gets better!

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
i know you have had illeostomy as well. but i am having my anul stump removed soon. please can you tell me when its ok to sit down and what kind of stiches you have. anything really. please. many thanks

hi CDD, sorry that the thing had to pop open :(

i was under the impression that having an open butt wound after the procto was quite common. many people ive talked to have had this wound there....i thought they just left it open after surgery...but either way

is it hurting a LOT? make sure you (well, your wife) keep an eye on it

dont know too much about the butt wound, but my tummy incision was infected, and i did not catch the early signs.
if it hurts to cough/sneeze sharply in the wound? be aware, i thought that pain was normal and it turned out to be due to the infection. though im sure it varies from person to person.

you did call your surgeon and tell him right? i think you are doing the right thing, just to be sure.

if it hurts to pull the gauze out of the wound, try to wet it first with warm saline, it makes the gauze not stick to the wound and pull so much. they also make some gel things that you can soak the gauze in if you would like the name, that made it less "sticky" too.

Hey Joe, I'm sorry it opened up on you. I hope and pray you feel better. I would listen to Kelly about using warm saline as well. I've never had to pack a wound before but I would assume using warm saline would help things to be less sticky.

Nyx

They had to pack my incision in my stomach, and yes, the saline works wonders for unsticking the packing. Or, if you have a mean doctor like mine was, just yank....ouch!!! lol

Astra

Hi Joe
and big welcome home!
sending you best wishes for a speedy recovery, and hope you feel better soon
xxx

Hey Everyone,
I visited my local colorectal surgeon (the fellow who did my emergency back in Oct 09), and he was nice enough to check out my incisions. He also said the perianal incision opening was common. And just to pack it. So we are. It does hurt to sit, so I don't. I just slouch on the sofa or lay down. The perianal incision is kind of numb but the pressure of sitting is uncomfortable.

Merrywidow - it was stiched up originally with dissolvable stiches, but they broke open at some point a few days after surgery.