• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Programs to assist college students finacial

No these aren't student loans this is free money providing you are healthy enogh to go school... No these are not federal or priviate grants.... These programs are run by the state. Why does the state run these programs? Because of this:

I have no clue what state you people live in or what services are available but if you ask the right people and make enough phone calls (also check the net if you don't leave in siper backwards state like AL) then you should be able to find a program like this...

In Alabama it is called this the main page http://www.rehab.state.al.us/Home/default.aspx?url=/Home/Main

For college students in alabama they would want to look at this page if they are intrested in the Alabama VRS program... This is the page you want to look at,,,

http://www.rehab.state.al.us/Home/default.aspx?url=/Home/Services/VRS/Main
Why do states do this...

VRS is a vast, coordinated network that creates a remarkable return on taxpayers' investment. For each dollar expended on a VRS consumer who becomes employed, $19.66 is returned to the economy through employment.* And for Alabamians with disabilities, VRS represents much more than a monetary return. Employment means pride, dignity and independence -- being empowered to achieve one's maximum potential.
:

Again this is just for Alabama... I'm sure other states have these programs as well.. If you need help finding any of these programs no matter what state your in (provided you live in the USA) I will be more than happy to point you in the right direction... I know how it feels to be lossed and to not know what to do or how to pay for college...

I did have a $10,000 dollar scholarship to USA (that may not seem like much but,it was enough to pay for 4 years of full tution... Not books just tution.. My books I payed for wtih my student loan... My parnets payed for my room and bored. Also cine I live with my brother, sister-in-law, and 3.5 year old niece the extrra money helps him too... So that way I'm not giving money to some stranger. I'm giving it to my brother to help with house bills etc... Plus he can take me to the hospital if I need it without me calling the paramedics...
I rushed my self into college and thought hey I'm not having any chron's problems I will be fine.. I'll just sleep and eat like a normal person... It took me 5 or 6 full medical withdraws to determine that my body just wasn't cut out for college life the way a typical college student lives it.. My mind was but my body could not keep up with thr physcial stress of studying and eating greasy good sproadicly over the course of the day...

Whole article http://www.rehab.state.al.us/Home/default.aspx?url=/Home/Services/VRS/Main

Meaning they want your butt to work so you don't draw a disability check for the rest of your life.. Granted some people honestly can't work do to various health problems.. If you draw a disability check then you are doing nothing for the state other than sucking up their tax dollars... So the state sets up these programs so people can get jobs and not have to rely on a disability check for the rest of thier life...

If you are truley physical disabled I have nothing against you drawing a check every month to help pay for your bills. However I have an uncle (on my mom's side) and a Aunt (on my dad's side) that have been drawing disability all thier life and I know for a fact if they could work if they really wanted to .. Their just too damned lazy to do it..

Okay any other qustions or comments for rme? If so I'll try to answer as cohherntly and informativly as possible.. Just remember I may sound like I know everything but their are a lot of stuff that I do not know... I am always researching new data and asking trained phamisits, doctors, nutertionlists, and looking things up on the (sometimes wildly inaccurate internet...

Ok Im' out to eat and take my steriods and eat, I may sleep I may nor I dunno...

Also remember I may still be smart but I still am basicly drunk as far as my central nervous system is concerened... (again the valium based meds)

Ok cya later

Daniel

Your gonna have to more than likely talk to the state VRs director your in as well was the VRS director of the state school you are going too... I do not know if you will be be able to aplly for either. One trick you ALWAYS DO is keep your driver liseance and home address for back where your parents live (providing there not planning on moving anytime soon) ... If you do this then all your bills will be sent to your parents to be dealt with...

Same goes for insurance if you are a dependent on one of your parents insuracne plans... Always give the people at the hospital your parents address if they are the ones that will be paying the bills. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES give them your current college living adress and you parents address. They will become confused and merge teh 2 adresses together and your bills will be lost in limbo land..

If you do things that way all medical bills will go to your parents... You won't have to worrya bout paying medical bills or filling anything... School has enough paperwork as it is .. You can however give them your local phone number (where you are currently living at while in college) in case the docs and or nurses need to contact you... Also make sure you give them your parents phone number as your emergancy contact...

If you do these things you will save yourself A TON of red tape... So remember at any medical office put your parents adress becasue this is where the bill be sent too. Always put your phone address (it will probably be a dorm room number or a partment number) as your primary means of phone contact... That way you get all the reminders of all your appointments with your docs and you DO NOT have to wirry about filling out medical/insurance/susbscrition forms that have to be payed and/or sent off to your insurance company...

I hope that made some sense...

Ok I'm actually going to eat now... I need to take my pills...

Cya later,

Daniel

This my last year of high school its just going to be a ton of senioritis for me and it will only get worse as the year goes on. The freshman will hope I never get a flare during this year cuz if I do Im taking out on them.LOL

Thanks for the help

S

Skinsfan1229

well in Virginia, sorry dont know how many of you live in th sates, but In VA, hte veterains adminstraion SAYS on the website they only provied grants/educaltion money NOT need to be payed back, BUT I did give them a call to ask about who I should call about college money elp wthout being a Vetern. And they informed me athat that was the place to be talkign to...the VA. I'm sure most states have soething like this. Not to mentnion I hate to give this out but www.ccfa.org offfers a "great comebacks" scholorship, for people that have been though a lot with IBD in a short amount of timet , or have an ostomy....look into it.

Also you must be enrolled in FAFSA for any of these state or federal programs...
http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Best time to get enrolled is around the end of feburary/begning of march... Make sure your parents get all their tax stuff done by the end of feburary too... You need their tax stuff for your fafsa forms... After you get the offical conformation letter from fafsa then you can go out and filll out paper work at other places... These other places would be the other federal and state run offices.... Then you get to go through their paper work machine....

Eventually after 1000 trees have died you will get a check from somone for some money. The requirments for keeping that money and or earning it vary from dept to dept...

Also learn to bring a book.. It helps a lot...