• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pronunciation?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I just started taking Asacol about 10 days ago. So far so good, I'm pretty sure it's working and no side effects! But I have a very important question...

How do you pronounce Asacol???

I thought it was like ACE-a-coll. But the pharmacist that I talked to the other day said it like ASS-a-coll. Obviously I prefer Ace to Ass! Ha ha. Does anybody know what the correct pronunciation is? Do I sound like an ass if I say ace? :eek:

lol! I work in pharmacy and long ago, when I was first starting out, my tutor told me that it doesn't matter how you pronounce it, as long as you say it with confidence, people will think that's how it should be pronounced.

I hear many different pronunciations of drug names. My favourite is clopidogrel. I pronounce it clop-id-o-grel but some of my collegues pronounce it cloppi-dogrel, always makes me picture dogs walking round in clogs lol
Soybean xx
P.S I pronounce it Az-a-col if that's any help ;)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:rof: @ Dusty ... yeah I pronounce it Ass-a-col too. My sister was on it, and guess what I col her an ass :ylol2:

Some of them are positively unpronounceable/impossible to remember i.e. The UK version of Humira which is ' Abudhabilab' !!! :ylol:
And is it hu mee ra or hu mai ra?

Crohn's Mom

Cat I think you should add a pole to this...it's pretty funny to me ! (Im easily amused) LOL
ASS ~A~ Call is how I pronounced it when Gab was on it but she wouldn't say that so she called it Ace~A~Col haha. :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
You guys are hilarious! :D I think I'm going to be like Gab and call it Ace-a-col because I don't want to say Ass-a-col! Saying it like ass-a-col sounds to me (besides the part about saying "ass") like a drunk person asking for another drink. "Scuze me bartendehrrrr, I need more assachol." ;)

Helen, I have no idea if it's hum-ee-ra or hum-eye-ra! Maybe I should just stick to the easy to pronounce ones like pred! (Rhymes with "Fred", right???)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Rygon, too funny! :D

So how do you pronounce the UK version of Humira then? Helen's post made it look like a-booty-ha-blib-blab or something!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Well we can say ass-a-col because we only say ass for a donkey. Now if you are talking about your ass but it's not your donkey then we say arse.

Now fanny is something altogether different, cause if you say fanny to us it's not your ass or your arse!

Dusty. :)

Ha ha! Dusty. Reminds of when my Ozzie auntie stayed with us one Christmas and asked my 14 year old brother for some 'Durex' to wrap prezzies with!

Astra

I have the same problem with Pentasa!
My GP calls it Pen-tay-sa!
Me and the pharmasist say Pen-tas-a!

We also say Hugh - mi -ra
and Ace - a - col

My GP also says Steer-roids!
(I think he's Irish cos his first name is Seamus, but he talks like a Scouser)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Wow, I'm learning all sorts of new things from this thread!

Dusty, when we say ass we generally mean butt, not donkey! Fanny is an old-fashioned term here, also meaning butt. So what's fanny mean in Aussie? (or do I not want to know??)

Helen, what's Durex mean over there or in Aussie speak? I'm pretty sure that here, Durex is a brand of condoms...

Joan, what's a scouser?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Fanny is the female genitals. I think you will find that the Brits call it that to. So don't go patting my fanny! :ylol:

Durex is a brand of sticky tape in Oz. So some people here (generally older generation) just call all sticky tape Durex. :eek2:

Scouser, that's the accent/language Joan speaks with! :lol:

Dusty. xxx

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I just picked up a refill of Asacol, and there was a different pharmacist working than the one I had initially talked to. The first pharmacist pronounced it ass-a-coll, but this pharmacist said ace-a-coll! :) I'm happy, I'm sticking with saying it like ace-a-coll.

I never knew that about fanny in the UK, but it does explain some things to me. In the commercials, they call it hew-me-ra, so I assume that is how it is pronounced.

Regular Joe

It has to be "ass-a-call". It goes along with their color! What kind of a butt-joker thought of coloring the darn things brown anyway. They did the same thing with sulfasalazine (is it ...zeen or ...zyne). they are brown also.:eek2:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Ha ha Joe, good point! I wonder how they decide what med will be what color. I take prescription Omeprazole and the capsules used to be white, but the manufacturer changed and now they're green! And the OTC Omeprazole are brown tablets. Yet they're all the same exact medication. So it seems they can make pills whatever color they want to. I guess they make some of them brown so that it doesn't look like candy to young kids? My bright green Omeprazole kind of looks like candy though!

Spanish

I had to get a refill one time in South America and there it is apparently pronounced: "Ass-a-colon". Kind of accurate anyway. True story.

I assumed it was Ace-a-col, as the names are usually a play on the generic drug name, and in this case it's a form of 5-ASA, therefore the 'AY' sound.

Likewise with Pent-AY-sa.

It's amusing how many ways there are of pronouncing 'Anusol' :ybiggrin:

Well, 5-ASA is short for 5-aminosalicylic acid, which is pronounced ah-MEE-no-sah-lə-SI-lik, so I always assumed it was five AH-SAH. Thus, Pentasa, which is a play on 5-ASA (penta meaning 5) would be pent-AH-sah. Of course, I live in Japan where everything is written phonetically, so I have no idea what doctors and pharmacists in English-speaking countries call it.

rygon

hew-mir-ah for humira
and yes a fanny is a womans front bottom

and scouser

[youtube]qamVB4ixxGs[/youtube]

Reminds me of when me and my boyfriend went on holiday to Egypt. We went on a trip in the deserts and there were some mountains with a great echo. So our tour guide had us shouting 'hello' at the tops of our voices in all the languages of the people with us (some French, Spanish, German people on the tour too).

Then the guide started on names. 'Mark...ark....ark....k' then 'Stephanie'- or Fanny for short! All the Brits about wet themselves with laughter and no one else could work out why- which made us laugh even harder! Especially once we started trying to mime what Fanny meant to us Brits, to even more bewildered looks.