• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Proposed Biochemical Cause and Remedy for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

http://www.krysalis.net/crohn.htm

Interesting theory from one guy who proposes that the cause of Crohn's Disease is oxidative attack on the intestine, and not an autoimmune attack. Specifically, the attack follows the Haber-Weiss reaction where ferrous ions catalyze the dissociation of biochemically-produced hydrogen peroxide into highly reactive hydroxyl radicals. The excessively high production rate of hydroxyl radicals then produces cellular damage in the intestine. The reaction goes as follows:

H2O2 + Fe(+2) = Fe(+3) + OH- + HO

hydrogen peroxide + ferrous ions
react to produce
ferric ions + hydroxyl ions + hydroxyl free radicals

This reaction is always taking place in normal cells and can play a constructive metabolic role by helping with the initial oxidation of fats in the peroxisomes. However, for people with Crohn's Disease, it takes place to excess.

He also suggests supplements like Melatonin and DMSO, and special cooking methods (boiling and pressure cooking)

This theory also matches a recent research in which it was found that people with Crohn's have high oxiditive stress even when in remmission

http://www.yourhealthbase.com/database/a136f.htm

Anyone tried such approach; there are also emails of people who tried it with suceess.....

I noticed a while ago that many of the supplements that people take here for Crohn's are antioxidants. Virtually every supplement I normally take are both antioxidants and anti inflammatory. The Green tea I drink is also an antioxidant.

I do not know the cause of the oxidative attack, but suspect improper immune response more than anything else. Either that or LDN works by some kind of freakish effect rather than correcting an immune system imbalance. There are many factors that also contribute to the disease that result from the cause, but are not a cause in them selves. At least, that is the direction I am been led by the evidence.

I have the particular situation in which two of my three children have different yet related autoimmune diseases. These other diseases are Hidradenitis Supporativa and Celiac disease. Hard to believe this would be purely by chance since it is not unusual to have two or even three of these diseases simultaneously. To me, this points the finger quite strongly to improper immune function manifesting itself as any number of diseases, Crohn's being only one of several possible results. That is why I am planning on trying LDN as it is supposed to correct the improper immune response. Other treatments are useful, but if improper immune response is the root cause, you are treating symptoms without addressing the cause.

Thanks for all of the research links. I have not seen this before.

Dan Bergman

Last edited: