• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Psoriasis?

psoriasis?

I have a had a scaly, itchy rash on my arms and legs for a few months now. It seems to be getting progressively worse, so I've been researching psoriasis. Based on a few pictures I've found, I think I might have mild plaque psoriasis.

Does anyone else have (or know someone who has) psoriasis? It may be a while before I go see a dermatologist, so I'd like to hear a little more about it to help me determine what my rash is.

It's red with white scales that flake off when I scratch. it's like leg dandruff. It starts out in little round-ish patches (about the size of a dime) which grow into larger areas. I'm trying to avoid itching, but it drives me crazy and I really can't help it. I've scratched until my legs are bleed, and now I have a bunch of scabs too!

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
are you sure its not excema? a antihistomine (cant spell) would help the itch,
dont use a steroid cream though as it thins the skin and you would just end up with more scabs.
and dont use perfume soap.
sharon xx

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
are you sure it aint excema?
a antihistemine (cant spell) would help the itch, but dont use a steroid cream as this just thins the skin.
sharon xx

I'm not an expert, but I think the scaly, flakey symptoms sound more like psoriasis.
In the UK a pharmacist would probably be able to advise, or I'd see a GP. Not sure what you have available though, until you see the dermatologist

I don't have it but my mom does and from the way you are describing it, it sounds like psoriasis to me too. My mom's is under control a lot better than it use to be, she had it real bad on her arms, scalp and legs more so than anywhere else. She actually see's her rheumatologist for hers, because her's is psoriatic arthritis. I would definitely ask your doctor so you can get started on some kind of treatment.

Pam

I have psoriasis, but mostly it's on my scalp. I do have it on my elbows and on one of my ankles as well and it pops up in other areas too. My dermatologist gave me a script for clobetasol. I have two kinds - the liquid (suspension I think it's called) is for my scalp and the cream is for my elbows, behind my ears, and where ever else it pops up.

Merrywidow is right though - it does thin the skin, so you're only supposed to use it for a week or two at a time and then give it a break for a week or two.

I've been doing very well on this medication, but haven't had to take it for quite a while now since I'm on Prednisone. The pred seems to have cleared it up completely. Wonder if I'll get lucky and it won't come back when I'm done with the pred??? LOL! That's doubtful - I was practically born with it on my scalp.

yap me too. had it off and on for years. Soon as I get
lower on the pred. the psoriasis. gets worse.I do have some
cream that The Dr. prescribed to me that I use when it gets
unbearably scratchy in personal areas too.
Then soon as I get outa the shower it peels off like flakes.
I guess its just another side effect of having crohns