• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Public toilet nightmare

I went out for a few hours with my mum the other day and mid shop had to make a mad dash to the toilets....the kids are off school at the moment and I came out of the toilet, a young girl went in and I could see her face and see her mouthing to her friends that it was stinky...embarassed...no - MORTIFIED! Is there any way to deal with this other than just scrub your hands as quick as you can and skulk off??

I carry around mini deodorant cans everywhere to try and avoid the embarassment but when the toilets are busy I feel too embarassed to spray...its like being stuck between a rock and a hard place! I only had my first surgery 6 weeks ago and I wanted to pull my top up and say sorry I stink but I have bum and tum issues and this is part of it but figured that probably wouldn't go down very well :ybatty:

Thank you for the response...Im new to this and wasn't even sure I was doing it properly!

Just remember...everyone poos and everyone's poo stinks, otherwise, the phrase "She thinks her shit don't stink" never would have been coined!

i just walk out waving my hand in front of my face saying "wooo don't go in there unless ya got a match".
i've gotten to the point where i am damned if i'm gonna feel ashamed about something everybody does. Heck i've got two small kids and had to clean up worse messes from their little buts then mine has ever produced. Try being in a grocery store and realize that you 13mnth old has not only crapped threw there diaper and shorts, but into his stroller and all up his front and back. Lets just say after some serious scrubbing in the family washroom with my wife he came out with only a diaper and bag full of nasty clothes. LOL.
chin up. your normal.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
After a while you just tend to deflect what's supposed to be social graces, and just say screw it, I'm sick because of nothing that was my fault to begin with so if I stink I'm literally just as put out as you are.

Crohn's toughens you up a bit.

hahaha i like to say something to piss them off when someone does something like that... if i go and stink the place up and someone says something like that.... just respond with "Well if you mom would learn to cook better it wouldn't be so bad" or "ITS A SHITTER WHAT DO YOU EXPECT IT TO SMELL LIKE???" or hold you hands over your head when walking out yelling "WOOHOO SCORE ONE FOR THE ASS BLASTER!!!!"

:lol: hold your head high walk on and dont look back; an old northern irish quote "you can't eat good grub and shite scenty soap" think about it! take care:lol:

SpoonNinja

Spoonie
Mark33180 said:
hahaha i like to say something to piss them off when someone does something like that... if i go and stink the place up and someone says something like that.... just respond with "Well if you mom would learn to cook better it wouldn't be so bad" or "ITS A SHITTER WHAT DO YOU EXPECT IT TO SMELL LIKE???" or hold you hands over your head when walking out yelling "WOOHOO SCORE ONE FOR THE ASS BLASTER!!!!"

lmao omg!! i would sooo do that, score oneXD i would scare ppl, i acually think nex time im in public and have ta use the potty imma do that!! just to see the looks on ppls faces!!!! thanx for the idea!! hehehe

bigtruck said:
:lol: hold your head high walk on and dont look back; an old northern irish quote "you can't eat good grub and shite scenty soap" think about it! take care:lol:

Haha this is brilliant! Im going to use that one!!! :ylol2:

I use Poo-pourri. Works pretty good. If I don't have it I just make a comment to the other people like "wow it stinks in here huh?"

Brilliant! If I have left an aroma I usually walk out in a most haughty fashion complaining loudly for all to hear about how much the toilets smell generally, and how disgusting the facility I am exiting was before I even went in there...

However, I am now totally inspired...from now on its going to be: hold my hands over my while yelling "WOOHOO SCORE ONE FOR THE ASS BLASTER!!!!"

I cant wait for my next public outing now (usually a source of dread), the kids are going to think I am a total legend!

Lishyloo

I try to cover embarrassment with humour but there's nothing worse than walking out of the toilet though to find that theres a queue.....and there's no denying i'm the culprit of the offensive aroma because they've all heard suspicious toilet noises coming from the cubicle.

I try to flush just as the event happens. It not only covers the sound but sucks all the...ahem...material down before it can stink the place up too badly. I then flush again asap in case there's any residual material or odor.

This isn't easily accomplished with those automatic flushers though. I've spent many a minute standing by the door perfectly still with my pants down waiting for the stupid thing to flush.

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
seadreamer said:
I try to flush just as the event happens. It not only covers the sound but sucks all the...ahem...material down before it can stink the place up too badly. I then flush again asap in case there's any residual material or odor.

This isn't easily accomplished with those automatic flushers though. I've spent many a minute standing by the door perfectly still with my pants down waiting for the stupid thing to flush.
Ahh... the old courtesy flush :ylol2:

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
I hate the automatic flushers. I avoid them like the plague. Has anyone ever had it flush while you're still pooing? I have. Not funny. Well - it is kinda funny.

Mark - your comments remind me of Austin Powers and the scene with #2. Ha!

My daughter used to scream in the public restrooms when she was little because of the noise the automatic flushers would make. And then she'd stare at it, and you could just hear her thinking "it's gonna swallow me whole, I know it. Why does mom make me pee here???"

seadreamer said:
That's my technique!
Never encountered an automatic flusher in the UK... maybe that's a good thing

You have all just reminded me of a trip to a public toilet with my youngest in the cubicle wih me... it went like this...

Paddy, in a really loud voice, "Mummy have you done a poo?"

Me, in a theatrical whisper, "NO! SHHHHH!"

Paddy, "Euuccchh Mummy, it really smells let me out, LET ME OUT!"

Me, "Don't open the door, DON'T OPEN THE DOOR!"

There really is no denying that you are the culprit when the fellow occupant runs choking from the cubicle....

Thank god he's old enough to go in his own cubicle now...

Family Guy handled the public restroom situation pretty well:

Lawyer: Peter, Sarah has decided to press sexual harassment charges against you.

Peter: Sarah......Is that the one we video taped taking a dump?

:ylol2:

:(

If you still don't want to take the heat, you could always look at the next stall user and say "I was gonna use this one after I flushed it for her/him, but that person had that sitting in there way too long, I'll use another one, it's all yours"......:)

im new to this aswell!! once again i thought i was the only 1 who suffers from this ebarrassing prroblem. as i can see im not and WOMEN have the same thoughts as me. ive tried all sorts to prevent the stink but never had much joy so i think i will takr on big trucks qoute from now on.

It's funny, I used to be terrified of using public bathrooms but since having Crohn's, I've learned quickly that if you have to go, you have to go, there's not really the option of worrying about what other people think.

I hate having to go in public, but usually I don't have the luxury of waiting to get home.

At work is embarrassing as sometimes it can be noisy, so I either have to wait to be sure nobody else is around or wait for someone to active the hand dryer. Or sometimes depending on where I am flush and go at the same time.

If other people are near by I get paranoid about how many flushes I do. How much toilet paper I use (if it's a noise dispenser). How long I spend in there. How smelly it might be.
Basically going to the toilet can be traumatic.
At work I often feel like I'm being timed. As most times I'm gone for 10 minutes wait for the perfect time to go :)

Also I have to walk past loads of people to get to the toilet, and to walk past them is only on the route to the toilet, so I feel like people are noticing how often I go.

And then there's the stress of if you go in the toilet and it already stinks. I just know everyone will think it's me.
The same if the toilet is left in a mess. Something which is physically impossible for me to do, but I still feel I would always be the number one suspect.

On a couple of rare occasions I've had to go around friends houses which is also highly embarrassing as they live in one bedroom flats, where the walls are thin and the toilet is often next to the lounge. Just hope it's not gonna be noisy or smelly.
Even when I think I got away likely and the smell wasn't bad people have often made out like someone has died in the toilet. (insert embarrassed smiley here)

I've had so many toilet nightmares the past few years and I'm still not used to it. Most of the time it's a bigger deal to me than anyone else, but it's no fun.

I remember not long ago out shopping on my own and I suddenly got the urge to go. It's like I have a 5 minute warning. Then the only think I can think of is fine a toilet.
Luckily I've never had an accident, but when I do make it to the toilet it often feels like mission impossible and I just made it with literally 1 second to spare.
Even when I get in the cubicle racing to get my pants down, cover the seat with paper and put paper in the bowl to prevent any splash back.
Anyway on this occasion was the biggest nightmare as it was half term so kids off school. I tried Maccy D's first, but too many kids so not gonna happen.
Public toilet was locked. I didn't know the area that well so was starting to panic. First pub I went in, no toilet roll.
By this time I was getting desperate. Like a man possessed. Anyway after about maybe 10 minutes of marching through the crowds like a mad man I found another pub and decided I was going in no matter what.
The pub was like an old mans family pub. I'd say there was about 20 people inside that all looked at me as I marched straight through them to the toilet.
There was 1 cubicle and it wasn't the cleanest place I'd been in plus the actual toilet had a broken seat. And no lock on the bloody door!
I basically had to let loose while squatting and holding the door shut. Luckily nobody came in.
When I walked out through the people I just felt shame, but I wasn't gonna see any of them again to who cares.
None of them realised how traumatic those few minutes were back there while they're chilling drinking their beers :)

Another time that springs to mind is being caught in traffic then getting the sudden urge that felt like I had better find a toilet asap. Raced like a lunatic and pulled into the local ice rink.
Rushed straight pass the desk into the toilet. Half way through the lights went out and it was literally pitch black. I couldn't see a thing. Luckily I had my phone on my to use as a touch. They were timer activated lights :mad:

I was in a relationship for 5 years around the time I first started having crohns related symptoms.
Been single for 3 years now and had to turn down a few chances to stay over a girls house due to fear of needing the toilet and something going wrong.

Like one time at a friends when after going I discover the flusher doesn't work!!!
Now I always do a pre-flush to make sure that doesn't happen.

Too many bad toilet scenarios run through my head whenever I'm not at home.

Last edited:

ameslouise

Now I always do a pre-flush to make sure that doesn't happen.
The pre-flush and the TP check before you sit down are mandatory! Only a rookie doesn't check for paper before letting loose!

I go for the humor approach - "I stunk it up good in there for ya!" Or the old Ace Ventura - "Whooooo! Do NOT go in there!"

One time I clogged the toilet at a coffee shop called..... (drum roll, please)..... Muddy Waters!

Thankfully i've either been in an empty public bathroom or a very full one (where you can't tell one from another!) when i've had a bad bout...I have to admit if i'm feeling peaky i'm far more likely to stay home than go out...

Friends bathrooms are the worst...i'm always so self conscious...

Dallies

Dragonfly
My daughter used to scream in the public restrooms when she was little because of the noise the automatic flushers would make. And then she'd stare at it, and you could just hear her thinking "it's gonna swallow me whole, I know it. Why does mom make me pee here???"
This made me laugh. We do not have this in the UK. Whilst in Florida my son said, "wow toilets are magic in America."