• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Query ? Has anyone in the UK been diagnosed with crohn's in 2012 oe 2013 ? Curious how this fits in with NHD diagnosis tick box sytem ?

was it a battle to have him diagnosed Mand or was its straight forward ? ie quite a lots of bowel damage or biopsy result ? hope he is doing well now , god bless x

Approached my GP with bleeding and D present for years towards the end of 2012. Colonoscopy within 2 months, endoscopy within another 2 months. Was diagnosed confirmed Crohns after the endoscopy (january 13). 3 Months of budesonide and Azathioprine as of last Friday.

Thanks all keep t info comming all interesting .
Glad u got ur diagnosis , shame its crohns but I gues its a relief to know its something .
Kiel was its t endoscopy that diagnosed u ? I'm having mine tomorrow and am I wee bit worried x

Yeah, they took a couple of samples.

Not trying to act big here, but I don't do well with anaesthetics so I opted to not have any.

It wasn't as bad as I expected. They put some spray stuff on the back of my throat which apparently tastes like bananas (it doesn't). It numbed my throat really well (swallowing was an interesting experience for about an hour).

Then they pretty much just went ahead. I had a nurse holding my head and the doc just went for it. It was quite uncomfortable when they needed to inflate things, they pump air in and it just feels like you're reeeeeeally full, but then they carry on. They had to do a corner and that was the most awkward part. I just kind of went elsewhere in my head and tried my hardest to not panic. At one point I kind of focused on the tube and panicked a bit but the nurse calmed me down and it was fine again.

All in all, I wouldn't CHOOSE to have it done too often, but I don't think i'd ever opt for the drugs, they're just not necessary for me.

Overall, don't worry. They do hundreds of these procedures and they've seen every kind of reaction. Just try not to think about it, concentrate on your heartbeat and you'll be awesome :)

EDIT: Also, when they remove the air, it feels like the most AMAZING fart you ever had. Seriously.

tick box , nhs have money and medical targets to meet and to do this most have a tick box sytem , eg a list of symtoms if you fit them all then u may have t costly drugs to make you better . now they seam to need to see the actual area and have biopsies and a blood and fecal test all matching at the same time before any diagnosis.
this is an opinion only i know the tick box system exsists as i have family members working in nhs but what would be on the crohn's tick box i have no idea x

Hi they did but they never got passed to my gi as i had it done at a different hospital so they never played a part in the diagnosis. Well after all the meds ive had im not better having a resection on Weds eeeek. Thanks for asking how are you feeling x

I was diagnosed August 2012 - I suddenly became really sick, terrible pains etc. Rushed to hospital.. Bloods showed inflammation, taken for a Laparoscopy which turned into me having a resection! I was officially diagnosed two weeks later x

tick box , nhs have money and medical targets to meet and to do this most have a tick box sytem , eg a list of symtoms if you fit them all then u may have t costly drugs to make you better . now they seam to need to see the actual area and have biopsies and a blood and fecal test all matching at the same time before any diagnosis.
this is an opinion only i know the tick box system exsists as i have family members working in nhs but what would be on the crohn's tick box i have no idea x
All I know is that the NHS in Northern Ireland is absolutely abysmal. I had to get a local politician and someone in the local press involved before they took me serious.

Sound like ireland nhs as bad , and bless u havin a resection sound like things were pretty bad wen diagnosed , this kinda fits in with my opionin that nhs will only diagnose bowel cancer n bowel damage , any preventitive care doesn't appear to be up for diagnosing ! So mild or begining of crohn's I'm guessin we have to wait until we are at resection point before we can get anywr x