• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Query re Liquid thickeners.

Hi :)

I have an ileostomy and the output is generally quite watery. I have seen those sachets that you can pop in the bag to help thicken the liquid and was curious if anyone has used them, or could recommend a product?

Thanks.

Doug

Do you get your supplies delivered through a delivery company? If so, I would probably call them and just ask them to send through a load of different samples for them. I usually get sent a load of samples with my IA newsletter too!

I tried the packets once but didnt care for them. My output ended up getting less watery and I didnt need the packets after a bit.

annawato

Staff member
I tried them and they did work but just made it harder to empty the bag cos less liquid. Maybe useful at night but I found them a bit of a bother.
Like Michelle said, get some samples sent to you to see if you like them first.

I also have some and they do work great. I don't use them very often, though may start using them more in the future when I have a different job. (Currently I work a desk job and the liquid output isn't an issue for me.)

The particular brand I got was Parthenon Par-Sorb Gel Packets and I purchased them through Amazon.com. There are a couple different brands available and I imagine they all work about the same.

I have been using the Eakin Preform sachets. I pop one in a new bag it makes you output thicker so less likely to leak. I do find it difficult to put a new one in through the neck of my bag, even so, stops that sloshing sound and definitely thickens the consistency, although does make it a bit 'sticky'.

Hi Dmac,

Have you tried a psyllium husk supplement at all? They can help firm things up inside you rather than at the other end in the bag.

Gav