• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question about appetite

I've noticed the past week or so.
I've completely lost my appetite . Just no desire at all
To eat. I'm not having any new issues.
Could this be a red flag that something is
Wrong? Like the quiet before the storm?

For my son, not eating, brings about more not eating. He has to eat enough to keep his strength up, so that he will want to eat and he's in remission.

I know how you're feeling, Mere. I used to be a chocoholic with an insatiable sweet tooth, and just last night sat at the table inches away from a plate of brownies and had absolutely no desire to eat one. That sure was bizarre.

My advice only advice is make sure you eat, even if you don't feel like it. I know a lot of people recommend nutritional shakes like ensure or boost to make sure you're getting enough vitamins and minerals. I can't tolerate most of them, so I have to make an effort to consume small amounts of the foods I can tolerate every 2 hours or so.

If you start feeling worse, or having more symptoms, definitely consult with your doc. No appetite is definitely a red flag, in my book. Hope you get it figured out!

I've been drinking banana smoothies. Pretty
Light with almond milk so it's less effort to drink
Them. I have an apt Friday. Spoke with the nurse and
She wanted me to go to the hospital.
But it's hard to justify a trip to the ER. If I'm
Not in agony. And the pain doesn't always last
More than a few hours.

I've been there too. When I'm just super fatigued and not feeling well in general I just have no desire to eat anything. I generally try to eat something small, like a piece of toast or have a smoothie or something just to have some food in my system. I tend to feel worse in the evenings so I have been eating more in the mornings to make up for not eating dinner.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Yes loss of appetite is a reg flag (especially since you mentioned that you're in pain off and on as well). I'm dealing with a stricture currently and one of the questions my GI asked is if I have an appetite. Not really. Its not due to avoiding being in pain or any other symptoms, I'm just not hungry. Yet when I don't eat enough I start getting light headed and can barely function so I have to force myself to eat something (I keep fruit flavor baby food at home for quick snacks that are easy to tolerate).

I hope you're doing better mere282. Keep us posted on the appointment (which I believe is today). :)

I'm on side with the others - lack of appetite isn't good. Try cooking something light with a really good smell. I find Italian food smells could almost always make me hungry, even though I can't eat it. Fresh baked bread, real vanilla, things like that should help a little. At the very least, the foods they come in tend to be higher calorie and you need that right now.

Went to the dr today. And she said it's probably
A stricture. So she put me back on steriods
Told me we'll give it 6weeks if not any better we move
Up to stronger meds. And some imaging ...
Kinda frustrated because I gained a little weight
Last time. But it worked

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hopefully its just inflammation that the steroids will get under control. Are you on any other meds at the moment?

My husband was also experiencing a decrease in his appetite after his surgery two weeks ago. Twice since he has been home he has had pains that were similar to a blockage, which was odd since he hadn't really been eating much.

It turns out one should not be taking the prescribed 8 lomotil, 2 immodiums, and 2 servings of metamucil on an empty stomach. Now, we are down to just one lomotil a day, and he has been lectured on the importance of eating.

One suggestion we got from a nurse was to brush your teeth or rinse your mouth with mouthwash a few extra times a day. This is supposed to trigger your taste buds into craving something to eat. You have to realize that while you may be saving your intestines some pain by not eating, you are in fact starving the rest of your body, and it will not be very cooperative in helping you to heal if it has nothing to fight it with.

Please get better soon!

Went to the dr today. And she said it's probably
A stricture. So she put me back on steriods
Told me we'll give it 6weeks if not any better we move
Up to stronger meds. And some imaging ...
Kinda frustrated because I gained a little weight
Last time. But it worked
Do they think the lack of appetite is due to the stricture? My daughter also has no appetite and has a stricture, but we didn't if the stricture actually caused the lack of appetite.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Mesalamine isn't really the best treatment for Crohn's disease as its topical and Crohn's can cause inflammation deeper in the intestinal lining. http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=50253 I would discuss something stronger with your GI as allowing inflammation to continue, even small amounts, builds up scar tissue over time which will cause strictures from scar tissue that cannot be treated with medication.

Yeah she brought up a medicine change today.
I really think she's gonna use the entcort like
Last time. get everything to calm down then
Change meds.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Many of the stronger meds out there can take 3-6 months to fully kick in so adding a new med while on steroids may be more beneficial. Keep us posted. :)