• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question about contrave

My primary ia putting me on contrave for weight loss/depression. Its bupropion and naltrexone.

Wondering if anyone knows how this compares to a LDN regimen that others have seen help their crohns?

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Hi Aideen, sorry that I didn't see this until now. I'm not an expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but the typical agreed-upon dosage amount for LDN is 4.5mg, once per day. I took a quick look at the Contrave website, and it looks like the naltrexone is an 8mg dose in an extended-release capsule format. That's certainly a lower dose than normal naltrexone (standard doses for generic naltrexone HCl are 50mg pills), but I'm not sure whether 8mg would have the same effects as traditional LDN.

My guess: I don't think that it will hurt anything, but I don't know that it will have a tangible effect on your Crohn's.

Hopefully someone else can chime in that has a little bit more knowledge on the subject.