• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question about Gastric Emptying Study

Quick question......for the gastric emptying study, does the patient get to come to the waiting room between pictures, or do they normally have to start in the x-ray room the entire time. Is it done standing up or sitting? It appears from what I've read that there are several ways of doing it...some better than others.

my little penguin

Staff member
My oldest
Liquid study done laying down flat

While you drank the soln no leaving

Solid
Eaten in a special room since the food has radioactive isotopes.
Stay In the room
Scanned standing barely outside the room
Not permitted to leave the area at all
Even had a bathroom there

Took over 4 hours for solid and 2 hours for liquid study

Like MLP said it seems different places do different things. Caitlyn has had it where she wasn't allowed up and where she was allowed to go back and forth to waiting area. I think it just depends on where you do it.

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter had to stay in the room. We did it at a Children's Hospital and they let her watch movies during the study. It was very long - about four hours, and kind of boring but the movies made it better.

M was very worried about not being able to eat enough food for the study (she had to eat bread and eggs in 10-15 minutes) but she was able to eat enough for them to do it. She did get nauseous but she managed not to throw up.

Good luck!

Were you allowed in the room with your kids? I'm trying to decide whether or not to travel (2 hours) to where N is for his study tomorrow. He is saying there is not need, but I am happy to come be with him if i can help him pass the time (of course, he should be studying but he said he probably will feel too lousy to study since he has to get up early!!!) He said he would text me in the am when he knows a little bit more how he is feeling. This is another one of those times when it's difficult to know when to let them go, be on their own, get their own tests etc. I know this is a relatively easy one so I am inclined to leave him on his own if it is his preference. I'm just not entirely sure what his preference is and whether or not I would even be allowed in with him. The eternal dilemas........

Maya142

Staff member
I was allowed to stay in the room with M but we were at a Children's Hospital. Is N also going to a Children's hospital or is it an adult one?

M likes having me there for tests in case something goes wrong. This is a pretty simple test but it's long and boring, so it might be nice for him to have company. M was so nervous about throwing up during the test that I don't think she would have liked to go alone.

Do you have to leave early for the test? If not, could you call in the morning and ask if you'll be allowed in with him? It's also possible that he may come out of the room between pictures - I know my daughter did for her small bowel follow through.

Sending hugs - hope it goes well tomorrow!!

my little penguin

Staff member
Same here children's hospital
So I could stay
But as an adult you still want someone there just in case
Since they can think straight in whatever crisis is happening

Thank you for your replies! It is an adult stand-alone radiology center. He has to be there at 7:30am. I was planning on getting there at about 9:30am. He was going to start his Methotrexate tonight and I suggested he wait in case it makes him nauseous. I think I will call them early in the morning and find out their protocol and then just go, even if they don't let me in, just in case of any problems. Thank you so much for your input!!!

Everything went well. I called my son super early to tell him I was on my way and he basically said I shouldn't come, he'd slept well (unusual for him) and he was planning on
studying the whole time. He sounded genuinely ok, so I stayed home and we texted several times. His total time there was 4 1/2 hours. When asked how he thinks it went as far as digestive issues, he had no clue!!! He has a GI appointment in a couple of weeks, so I guess we will find out then, if not sooner.

crohnsinct

Wow! You must be so proud of him taking control like that! My kids would have had me come if for nothing other than a free meal afterward!

Oh! I hope sooner! Unless of course you have that kind of patience in which case you should bottle it u and sell it to the rest of us!

Maya142

Staff member
Way to go N!! Glad it was uneventful and he managed by himself!!

My girls would have had me come too, even if they were studying :lol:.

Thanks! Yes, I was glad he felt comfortable going by himself as I know he will be needing to do that more and more!! Now I just have to work on him on other areas like..."you didn't ASK them how your stomach was emptying?!?!" haha, and so far, it has taken him 3 weeks to pick up his Methotrexate and I think he has yet to take it, and hasn't gotten his flu shot!! But in all honesty, he has his hands full between school and having to do all his cooking, keeping up with doctors appointments, blood work, remicade, trying to get internships.....it's really too much. So I am, really, really proud of him.

Regarding the results, (hahaha crohnsinct!) I will put in a call to the GI tomorrow if he hasn't contacted N. i hope it will shed some light on why he unable to eat normal amounts of food. The other day I was at a dinner and there were some teenaged boys and when I saw how much they ate I was astounded at the quantities. N would have been able to eat 1/4 of what they ate!!!

The GI called N last week to tell him the gastric emptying test was normal. N sounded somewhat disappointed as now we are back to square one. The next step was to take Xafaxan (abx) to treat possible bacterial overgrowth. So he has been on it almost a week and says he feels much better. He started methotrexate at the same time and I have a couple of questions....

1. Could it be the methotrexate that is making him feel better?

2. Should he be taking Florastore to prevent recurrence of cdiff? He used to takeout all the time he was on flagyl, but somehow I remember someone saying that people with Crohns should not take s. boulardi? I tried a search and couldn't find it.

Interesting. Well, it's good news that your son doesn't have gastroparesis, but I understand his disappointment about still not having answers. As for the methotrexate, I've read on this forum that it's supposed to take a while to start working, but my daughter seemed to get symptom relief the week that she started taking it.

We used Florastor when my daughter was on antibiotics last summer. The only info I've found about contraindications said that it shouldn't be used by "severely immunocompromised" people. Here's the thread where we discussed its use a few months ago:

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=71013&highlight=florastor&page=3

We also used Culturelle after the antibiotic course was done.

Maya142

Staff member
Is it bad to say I'm sorry it's negative?! Sometimes it's nice to just have answers. I hope the antibiotic for Sibo helps.

Typically MTX takes awhile to work but I will say that it appeared to help one of my daughters within 2 weeks. Let's the not question it ;). Perhaps there has been some inflammation that has been causing poor N's issues.

Probiotics can sometimes cause symptoms - M does not tolerate VSL 3 very well, she has cramping and bloating with it. But she gets used to it if she's on it for a while. We currently use Culturelle and she's doing well on it.

My little penguin can tell you more about probiotics - I think she said that it gets worse before it gets better.

Good luck!

crohnsinct

Wow! You are I think the third person who posted here recently about SIBO! I understand his disappointment but at least the doc had a theory and is treating it and he is feeling better. My bets are on the SIBO treatment.

Thank you all! I'll then have him start on the Florastore as he did during the time he was on Flagyl and then continue on the Culturelle once he is done. I'll be a little more than a week into the treatment, but hopefully will keep c-diff at bay. He has always felt better on antibiotics so i do think he has a SIBO thing going on. I wish Fecal transplants were more commonly performed. I know they seem to work better for UC, but i read that they are being used more frequently as weekly or bi-weekly therapies with some good results for different CD cases. Thank you again!