• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question about Infections

emmaaaargh

Staff member
Well, a while after I was started on Aza, I started getting D, which was kind of odd because D was never really one of my flare symptoms, barring before diagnosis. It would sometimes go, and then come back, and I'm just dealing with it.

Today we got a letter in the post from the hospital saying that when I had my colonoscopies in May I *might* have been infected with CRE. So now I'm wondering if it was dormant, and my starting Aza kicked up the infection.

But I don't want to get my hopes up too high. Can an infection like CRE cause loss of appetite? That's about the only other thing I'm experiencing apart from D and weight loss (which is probably because of the appetite loss). My Crohn's pain (which is my indication of a flare) has lessened considerably - some days I'm pain-free!

I have to go have a blood test to check the Aza is working soon, and I also have to give them a stool sample for the CRE. So just to put it out there - is it possible Aza IS working for me and I'm just being hindered, or am I trying to push the fact that I'm failing this med off onto something else? :S

Thanks for any advice you're able to give - or even if you read this at all! :ysmile: You guys are great. By the way - I deliberated the exact place this should be posted for about six minutes. Sorry if I got it wrong! :)

Whenever I am flared, I loose m appetite. So any infection that would irritate and flare the intestinal tract certainly would cause me to loose my appetite.

Good luck

Dan

Poor you! I really hope its not an infection but i also hope aza is working for you!
I wouldnt worry too much as it may make you feel worse.
How long have you been taking Aza? I would wait until you get your test results back and then go from there. If you can rule out infection then you should probably talk to your doc about the diarrhea and maybe upping your dose . Try not to worry too much and let us know how you get on :)

Trysha

Staff member
Sorry to hear you are having problems and hope things will settle down soon for you..
Your symptoms are suggestive of a crohn's flare.
The Azothioprin does take time to be effective, so give it a good chance to do this and follow your doctor's instructions carefully.
Usually regular blood tests are ordered to monitor your system while taking this drug.
The letter you received from the hospital telling you about the possibility of CRE
ie Carbapenem Resistant Enterobacteria---could be indicating the possibility of a hospital acquired infection from the colonoscope used for your colonoscopy.
These resistant bacteria can arise from various hospital instruments if inadequately sterilised.
You should ask your doctors if this what they mean by CRE and if this is what has happened to you..
CRE can also develop in people as a result of prolonged antibiotic usage and may not have been passed on by an outside source..
It is good that you will be providing a stool specimen to be analysed for these bacteria.
It is normal to have a huge mix of good bacteria in the intestinal flora which do a multitude of good work in the digestion and maintenance of the intestinal system.
It is when the ecoflora become unbalanced by intruding pathogens that trouble starts.
In using necessary antibiotics to treat the patient and remove offenders sometimes a few remaining ones set up shop where they should not and create problems because of their acquired resistance to
antibiotics.
Plenty of live yogurt would be helpful to eat and restore some balance of good bacteria.
There will be others on this forum who may have helpful hints about this also.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Last edited: