• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question about refried beans

So, as part of following a low fiber and residue diet, watching the insoluble fiber content of various foods is important. I know that the outer casing of things like beans, peas, and corn are insoluble fiber. Does anyone know if refried beans are high in insoluble fiber? Thanks!

I think a good portion of Lard is added to refried beans. Under cooked Beans have a substance in them (can't remember what) that is not good for us to eat. That would not be a problem for refried beans but just a general "Bean" warning.

Dan

Thanks, you guys :) I knew about the sometimes added fat of refried beans, so if I decide to give 'em a try, I'll get the fat free variety ;)

I definatly have less issues with refried beans over regular pinto beans, probably as it's been soaked/cooked in a pot and then mashed up and cooked yet again that the skins been weakened quite a lot....

Been awhile since I did some home made refriend beans, and now im drooling. darnit.

My Gastro Dr used to just shake his head at me. Any time I used to get the cramping, wtr D, I'd eat pinto beans. It calmed my gut every time. But, I live in the desert southwest and thrive on green chile, pinto beans, and flour tortillas. Yummy. Goes to show you that each gut is different. I can eat mexican food every meal and be happy.