• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question about vaccinations

In the state of Illinois, it is required for me to receive a meningitis vaccine before school next year. Now, I have heard that you have to be careful about your medication and vaccinations. I am currently on Remicade right now, and I was wondering if it is safe to receive this vaccine while on Remicade.

emmaaaargh

Staff member
I received the meningococcal conjugate vaccine before going to university, while taking azathioprine. I think, since it isn't a live vaccine, you should be fine to receive it while on Remicade.

One more thing - if it is a live vaccine, you can still take it while on Remicade but you must wait a month after you are vaccinated before you can have infusion. If you are on a 8 week cycle, then this would still work, but if you are on a shorter cycle, then this would be a challenge. :shifty:

Another "no" vote if it's a live vaccine. Talk with your doctor about how you should proceed. You should be able to get an exemption if you have the medical documentation to back it up.

I understand the desire to minimize the risk of disease in an institutional or communal setting, but I can't stand blanket policies made by those who are completely clueless about autoimmune diseases. My wife is allergic to the flu vaccine, yet she has trouble with her employer every fall because they require everyone to take it. Even with the documentation, she still has problems.

my little penguin

Staff member
Meningitis vaccine is not live
We just try to space it out as far away from biologic injection as possible
And mtx if you take that as well
Check on mtx since there was some research on the abd effectiveness of flu vaccine with timing
Definitely call your Gi for advice though

Good luck