• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question about vitamins

Hello,

Just a quick question as I am a little confused about how to get the right vitamins and minerals in me as my diet is quite plain - I've started taking a women's multivitamin tablet every morning as well as a probiotic acidophilus tablet (1 billion active cultures) along with my asacol and pred. But then I got to thinking, will the good stuff make it into my system and be absorbed, is this even worth doing or will it all just be wasted?

I'm not sure where all the important minerals are absorbed in the body, and as I'm still waiting to see my Doc after sigmoidoscopy I'm not even sure where I am affected (definite ulceration of the rectum and distal sigmoid), whether it's crohns or colitis. Hmm.

Do other people benefit from taking oral vitamins? I also have a Yakult in the afternoon but I've heard that supermarket probiotics don't help much - too bad I already bought some!

Cheers,
Liz

Hello Liz.
Because our disease can make absorbing nutrients difficult if not impossible when in flare up mode, it is one of the reasons why many GIs introduce a course of steroids. Not just for anti-inflammentary work, but also to improve our appetite as well.
If you are going into a symtom free period it is a good idea to include vitamins as a compliment to a balanced diet. Do inform your doctor. Mostly they will not object.
Have a read here Lizz for a bit more information.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/101845-vitamins-crohns-disease/
Take care..

I always try to take liquid vitamins - it really seem to me to make a noticeable difference in how I feel. I'm not a shill for them, but I discovered High Performance Fitness when I was comparing ingredients. They include trace minerals that are not in many multi vitamin and mineral supplements. I also take Centrum liquid (they've stopped making it and I'm buying up all I can find). However, centrum isn't as good as the HPF.

I know I get regular blood tests for many deficiencies that are common to IBD, and in some cases, I get prescriptions, or they tell me which ones to take - like the slow release iron tablets.

All that said, I'm in the muddle with you, always reading, asking, checking, because it's so important. Sometimes with a Crohn's diagnosis, insurance companies have special case-management - a nurse and nutritionist you can consult with on a regular basis. BC/BS does that for me. They give lots of tips about the best time to take certain vitamins, like don't take this when you're eating that... things that aren't on the label.