• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question Daniel

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Question . . . GNCish kind of thing . . . I just ran across a supplement that states it meets USP disintegration standards of 30 minutes . . . can I REALLY count on it completely breaking down within that time or is there still a risk it might get hung up in a stricture or two? I just wondered if that REALLY meant something or if I take my life in my hands any time I pop a pill. This is a compressed capsule, like vitamins usually are rather than powder in the gel capsule. Thanks for the info.

Depends on the pill it should though... So long as your stomach has normal ph level... If your stomach's ph is off though then the pill may or may not dissolve properly....
If you think you have low acid then try taking a betaine hydrochloride pill with every meal.... If you are having trouble breaking down food then take a digestive enzyme pill... But remember for the digestive enzymes to work your stomach has to be at it's normal ph level (which is highly acidic) around a 2-3 ph.... Same goes for the normal enzymes your body produces that hang around in the stomach....

If you feel you have to much acid in your stomach then try drinking some aloevera juice with every meal or take an aloe vera gel tab.... The juice works better though...

They actually do tons of tests (over 150 quality checks) on all products.... So if it says it on the label it is a fact... Granted were all special cases here so the norm does not apply to us.... So it's just trail and error to see what does and does not work for you... Everyone's case is different.... People whose disease is mainly localized in a certain area for instance (such as the terminal illiuem) need different meds and supplements than someone who disease is spread acrosss the whole instestine or is in both the large and small intestine...

Learn from your doc where your "flare areas" are and you can plan your supplements/meds accordingly to help those areas....