• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question for the ladies re: colonoscopy

Hi,
This might seem like a really stupid question, but I need to ask it. I think flo is on her way, and I have a colonoscopy on Tuesday:yrolleyes: should I cancel? Call and see what they say? Wait to make sure? Due to babies I have only had 3 in the last year....and I really didn't miss it!!!!!

I have heard of women having them done during menses. Your doctor has seen it all so I wouldnt worry about it, but you could call to let them know. I think it depends on your comfort level. I dont think its a stupid question at all.
hope it goes well for you fellow Canadian.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a problem either. Last March I had to have a scope and I was worried about the same thing: Either I was about to start or I already had, I can't remember other than remembering it was a concern. So I googled it and found several forum threads abt how it wasn't a problem. I remember this one person saying that she was ragging when she had her scope done, had put a tampon in and when she came to the tampon was gone! So I don't think being on your period creates problems for the procedure but like Wendy said it probably comes down to your personal comfort level.

I had mine done during AF, I used a tampon. They didnt say nothing about the string. I figure they are sticking a camera up my butt, what is left to be embarrassed about?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've had scopes done while I'm on my period, then again, I use tampons and you can hide the string by tucking it in a little further but where you can reach. If you use pads though, maybe you could mention it to the nurse and ask what she thinks or use a tampon for the procedure if you can.

Funny timing on this question. I just scheduled a colonoscopy today and was wondering the same thing. Then I saw it clearly on the FAQ section of my instruction sheet. They said it is fine, but they suggest you wear a tampon (duh).

i once had a colonoscopy appt scheduled and got my period near the appt date so i called and asked about it and she told me not to worry, it's okay to still do the colonoscopy just wear a tampon... so i did that, and even though i felt a little uncomfortable having to do that, i went through with it because i needed to get the colonoscopy done and it was fine.

Yup...pretty sure both colonoscopies I had happened during my cycle. I just wore a tampon and it was no biggie. :) I should probably do a better job of scheduling, haha.