• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question on fistula

I have had crowns disease since I was ten years old, these past three years I've had Rectal fistula at about the same time January -March and was wondering if the almost annual frequency of my fistula was "normal" or if I should be more worried about what is going on?

Hi Devyn, I had an anal fistula about two years ago and my surgeon inserted a seton to fix it, it took almost a year to heal but thankfully it has never returned.
I would be more looking if there is something your doing or eating around this time of year that is not agreeing with you and maybe causing this issue. Maybe a different food, drink or stress even. I know when I am stressed my symptoms can get worse.

But I am far from an expert. I will ask my GI next time I see him.

David

Co-Founder
If you have fistulizing Crohn's disease with an active fistula, you should be worried about what's going on.

What medications are you currently on?

I had my rectal fistula drained yesterday and just moved to an adult hospital, I talked to my new doctor and he has brought up that at the pediatric they did not have any concern for the nutrition part of crohns and my malnourishment was a big part in what was happening. I'm going back from humira to Remicade with steroids for a little just to stabilize and I am also getting a nutrition tube that goes through my nose down my throat to my stomach tomorrow