• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question on remicade

W

wi_girl

question on remicade

I keep hearing more and more about remicade and cancer.Thats a little scary for me.Does anyone know approximately how many people have developed cancer because of remicade and after how long on it?The nurse who hooked me up to the iv said it's only been out 10 years and avoided the cancer subject.That makes me more than a little nervous.

S

Skinsfan1229

Its VERY un-common. About as common as developing tumors while taking 6mp, imuran, or methotrexate.

Plus the studies show, which I thought I had posted here but dont know how to find it, that remicade might not be CAUSING the cancer, just making it easier to detect. Plus cancer rates dont seem to go up with pro-longed use of remicade, also giving some credit to the remicade not actually causing the cancer. I'll try and find the link to the article, one of the many.

http://www.drkoop.com/newsdetail/93/534692.html
Couldnt find the article I wanted off the CCFA website, its to old but this one will work. It's just talking about RA instead of Crohns Disease, but TNF-a blocker when they mention that is Remicade I assume you know.

V

Valentina

its very scary to think of all that could happen, but for me even more scary to think of remicade not being in my life.. I hate to think what my life would be like right now if I was still suffering. good luck.

S

Skinsfan1229

Exactly, people are to worried to be thinking about what MIGHT happen, Crohns is happening to you RIGHT NOW, and its not waiting on you, its not waiting for you to find a med or combination that makes you healthy, it keeps going. In my eyes, if you dont take the "risk" then your saying your crohns isnt severe enough to risk a 1 in 1 billion chance or some shit.

S

Skinsfan1229

By the way if I had the chance, I'd do the stem cell transplant for crohns, which is only been done in this country like a dozen times, but all of them are symptom free. I'd risk my life for that, because for the oppurtunity to never have to worry about getting sick again is worth it...I have it bad and I'm willing to try anything no matter how bad the odds. When they do stem cell transplant they also give you large doses of chemo to kill off your immune system before injecting you with your own stem cells again, in which case the theory is they will work normally, because they'll be "pure".

This is why embryonic stem cell research is a must. If the Feds wont fund it, our states will, like california, wisconsin, michigan, there a many states funding the research out of state money, not to mention people donating money and the private sector. With these type of stem cells instead of adult, and adult is what they used in those 12 crohns patients, but with these types of cells, they can grow organs literally is the hope and knowledge so far behind it. Like if you saw the micheal j fox interview, these stem cells have the oppurtunity to give the correct amount of dopamean which is what causes parkinsons disease. They can grow organs such as livers, or maybe even intestines one day...if we allow it.

We, the United State of America, are behind other countries by far in stem cell research, canada, Great Britain, Even South Korea, countries that arent as advanced as us in EVERYTHIING else, but far ahead in stem cell research.

Plus I think if you consider embroynic stem cells a life, then you should consider an egg and sperm a life.

W

wi_girl

I was looking around on the net to see what I could find on remicade and the only thing that really caught my attention was this
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid={56AC4BBA-F706-4D0C-B21A-9587E9464D7E}&siteid=mktw