• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question on seton placement

Hi everyone,

I am a first time user of this site but have found strength just reading through some of these similar stories.
I am one week post seton placement surgery and still in incredible pain. I moved the seton around in hopes of relieving pain from the knot and was able to push the knot outside of me... Felt some relief at first and then a few hours later i pulled a little more and more of the knotted area came out and now I am in extreme pain. Can anyone tell me where they found the most comfort/relief in regards to the knot? Should I push it back in? Any quick advice is welcomed!!!!! Thank you

dave13

Forum Monitor
Welcome to the forum.I have setons as well and can relate to getting use to the knot.I had three setons placed,by the way.It will take a bit longer than a week to get use to them.I would say it was several months,for me,to get use to them.I have had them for sixteen months now,recently had one removed.Let your GI know about the pain.I found baths with epsom salt gave me relief, they still do.

Have you checked out this support group? http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=47942 Fistulas,Fissures and Abscesses Support Group.Many of us have setons and this group is a good source for support as well as information.

Thank you for this quick reply and also for including the link to the support group. In only one week I've felt my life change dramatically and it's tough on all fronts as it sounds you well know. My surgeon had told me within a week I should be feeling well enough to resume my regular activities so I think that's why I am confused and deflated as I feel far from that point.
I am going to post my full story in hopes that others like yourself may continue to throw some positivity my way! Thank you again and I hope you are feeling well and almost done w this fistula journey!

dave13

Forum Monitor
Yeah,getting use to setons takes some time.The support group is a great place to share your story and find/give support.You will get use to the setons,they will always remind you they are there,but you will get use to them.

So far so good with the seton that was removed.We will discuss another one being removed when we meet in December.Fingers crossed,right? So I guess I am doing well,thanks for asking.I hope you do well too.