• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question on small section of thickening in TI

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
I'll be headed to my GI to discuss this on Tuesday, but I figured I'd ask you folks in the meantime: Anyone have any experience with thickening of a small section of the terminal ileum, and if so, how was it dealt with?

From my doctor's note on my MRI results: "5cm thickened area of terminal ileum without visible active inflammation."

On the plus side, the "without visible active inflammation" part seems to indicate that the meds I'm on are doing their job, and aside from seemingly random bouts of pain, I feel healthy and have a good appetite the vast majority of the time. No sluggishness, fatigue, or any of the other horrible things that usually come with a flare.

On the minus side, if this is scar tissue... I'm wondering how it will be dealt with, and/or how urgent it is. Seems like a small area (which is fortunate), and I'm currently doing OK, but I have no experience with this sort of thing. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

If you aren't feeling any problems, they probably won't do anything. Not much reason to unless your doctor is trying pay for a trip down south.

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
What kicked this off was actually a day of intense pain, which eventually worked itself out. My doctor said to come in and scheduled a blood test and an MRI to see what was going on -- whether inflammation or scar tissue was potentially causing problems. She had a hunch that it might have been narrowing, and it sounds like she was right. I don't feel problems most of the time... but I think the last few times I've dealt with intense pain (seemingly at random) has to do with partial blockages, and food occasionally getting stuck. Most of the time it's no biggie, but... I dunno, I miss raw veggies sometimes. ;)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
If you are asymptomatic then they won’t do anything.

If and when symptoms start to present and they become problematic I imagine they will decide if it scar tissue only that is the cause and if so then surgery will be discussed. If that happens I would cover all bases and have them explain to you all the possibilities, including those you mentioned above, and the reasons why they can or can’t perform them.

I'm wondering if a strictureplasty or a balloon dilation is an option for me.
If you are having bouts of intense pain, it will need to be addressed. I had strictures before my last op (which I think you have), and had about four balloon dilation. Unfortunately the last attempt was unsuccessful and I had a resection, now more strictures sadly but like you no active inflammation. Have sigmoidoscopy on Wednesday and might try dilation again but looking like a permanent ileostomy now. I recommend dilation, non invasive procedure and with sedation not too bad. I have to take morphine for the pain :(