• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question regarding symptoms

I have been off prednisone for a week and a half. I haven’t had a “flare” yet. Does the support my theory that it is in IBD? My GI has taken a watch and see approach to determine the next steps.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Not necessarily... For many (myself included) who were diagnosed years and years ago - the treatment protocol was to prescribe medication until the symptoms went away, then stop the medication.....until symptoms returned....

For me, that resulted in initially long (year plus) periods of remission before symptoms came back..and each time the period of remission got shorter and shorter.

Prednisone is not a long term medication either, did your doctor give you any type of other medication yet?

Not necessarily... For many (myself included) who were diagnosed years and years ago - the treatment protocol was to prescribe medication until the symptoms went away, then stop the medication.....until symptoms returned....

For me, that resulted in initially long (year plus) periods of remission before symptoms came back..and each time the period of remission got shorter and shorter.

Prednisone is not a long term medication either, did your doctor give you any type of other medication yet?
No. He said he is concerned it is IBD but has no concrete evidence except my symptoms go away with prednisone and the CT which showed inflammation of more than 60% of my large intestine. I was scoped while being on prednisone for 7 weeks. My GI told me to wait to see if I flare again and then they would consider the capsule study and then consider remicade or humira. I have been on prednisone twice for my symptoms.

my little penguin

Staff member
Before insurance would approve a biologic most require evidence of the disease from scopes
The only way to get evidence is to not be on steriods at the time of scopes unfortunately

Saw GI. Plan is to do the capsule. If it shows something then start meds. If not then go back off prednisone and if symptoms happens again then maybe go on an oral maintenance med to see if it or events symptoms from reoccurring