• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question

Has anyone had the chance to get up close and personal with airport security? Apparently with this new device I tend to set off metal detectors. Then I have to stand a wait for some other guy to frisk me - GREAT just what I wanted. I try to be quiet and explain to them I have a device on my right side that they may not want to be to rough with. The last two times they tell me they are going to need to see the device and offer a private room. Me not being as shy as others, pull out my device and show them and ask if they need to see the contents - pretty much I am all set then to board.

I think they might want to explain some of the medical devices out there and what to be careful of. This week the news reported where a guy had a bag popped , during this frisk. I would NOT be happy nor would they.

Do not get me wrong I am happy they are increasing the security for everyone's safety, they just need some more education and knowledge of some of these common medical conditions. Considering the fact I was in the medical line, LOL.

So after this experience I get to my hotel and find I have a wire sticking out of me, in the area of the stoma. REALLY am I the million dollar man, what the hell did they do to me. I called the dr and as always have not called back. I spoke to an ER dr and he stated that they rarely use wire, but have been know to. So now I need to go and have this wire cut so it does not cause as much pain - HINT if you see it do NOT touch it, you will wake up on the floor - LMPO.

Also, why would a dr not explain that they used medal and give you some sort of paperwork explaining this and TELL me about it - SHEESE.

So my suggestion if you have a device and are planning to travel give yourself more time then normal, be a shitty situation to miss your flight for SHIT :)

I am now getting ready to go on a cruise in two weeks, do I really need to go over the whole flotation portion of the lecture. I am pretty sure if the boat is sinking I will be scared shitless and can float to shore with my personal flotation device - JUST a thought.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Haha!! That reminds me of Rob's funny crohns experience. If you tell them beforehand, they'll probably treat you like toxic waste!! You're going to need to empty the contents of that bag sir!!! Ummm, if you insist!!

Yeah, that wire thing, I'm sure that's disconcerting as hell!! Especially if touching it causes that much pain!! Hope they get it straightened out quick!! Have fun "cruising"!! Where ya cruisin' to?

I really love airport security. I had a hip replacement a few years ago, so I always set off the metal detector. Their response to this is always the same, a quick frisk and then they insist on x-raying my shoes (I know some nutter tried to blow up his shoes a few years ago, but really). I long ago gave up trying to explain that I've had a hip replacement as they just looked at me in a totally vacant humourless way... and they never ask to see the scar, which would be pretty instant proof in my view.

So now I just stick my shoes through the x-ray machine first (to save them the bother of asking) and offer myself up for frisking.

Manchester Airport, where I often travel from, now has one of these special scanners that x-rays through your clothes. A bit off-putting when you can hear the guys laughing in the monitor room.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I read about that, the guy with a urostomy that was left soaking when they broke the seal during his frisking.
Given all of he trouble they've been having it's only a matter of time before they change procedures, or get sued causing them to change procedures.

REALLY looking forward to flying next week. I can hear the chuckles already from the guys in the security booth. "She has what, where???"

That wire would have freaked me. Thanks for the heads up with that as I am heading into the direction of a bag myself...well, the team is behind it, I am dragging my feet!

Michele

Last edited:
I dragged my feet and NOW I kick myself in the ass for doing it. I feel so much better then I was feeling. I also like the fact that is no running to the rest room.

Of course there are up and downs as well as the mental and physical adjustments, but for me was worth it.

I think this week I am going to put a smiley face on my bag with the phrase "FULL OF SHIT" and see how they react to that. :)