• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question

I had surgery 1n 1967 was 22 years old. Had large intestine and rectum removed due to crohns. Did alright most of life, now getting older having trouble keeping
hydraded.have to have infusions 2x week, for saline and magnesium. anyone else going thru this?

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Staying hydrated is a major challenge for me. What is causing you to lose so much fluid? Are you in a flare? What type of fluids are you drinking? If I just drink water I flush my system out and am no farther ahead. The dieticianat the hospital said I need to be drinking a rehydration drink instead of straight water. Even Gatorade isn't good-to much sugar which can cause diarrhea. I drink G2 or pedialyte, it starts absorbing in the stomach. The World Health Organization has receipts on their website. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Thanks, i'll try that, my kidneys are bad one just curled up and died, I have 2 cysts in the other one doc days they are half the size of my kidney. I'm 68 so don't want a kidney transplant, too many operations already.