• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question

Hi I am new to this forum but would love some advice from anyone who has had abscess and fistula problems. I have recently had recurrent perianal abscesses form and have just had two setons put in 4 days ago. The surgeon stated that the sepsis was quite bad however I should feel better instantly as the sepsis has been drained and the setons are now in place. I am still feeling terrible and achy with a headache and extreme fatigue. I just wanted to know how long it took for other people with the same problem to feel better? I know that the chance of the setons not working is quite high so am hoping this is not the case :-(

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

Do you have crohns or ulcerative colitis?
Drainage and setons won't put active disease into remission. It only deals with the abscess and fistula. Are you being treated for the underlying cause?

Hi Dave, Yes I have Crohn's and i was diagnosed over 20 years ago. I am currently on Infliximab & Prednisone and i have been granted an additional two infusions on top of my normal 8 weekly infusions to get the Crohns further under control. I have been told that the seton will not cure the abscess but the surgeon did say that the aches and pains would disappear? This is the first time i have suffered with perieanal Crohn's and i think its been the most debilitating!!

DJW

Forum Monitor
I hope this is the last of your perieanal crohns.

I suffered with a lot of abscesses and fistulas. Aches and pains never disappeared. Do you have a follow up with the surgeon?

Oh no really :-( I am going back to the surgeon in two weeks. I still feel like a have a severe flu and I am still having shooting pains in my body. So is your perieanal crohn's in remission now? I feel like i have tried everything and nothing seems to make it better. I have to young children to raise and for the past 3 months i have not moved off the lounge.

DJW

Forum Monitor
The good news is I had a wonderful 20 year remission.

Talk to the surgeon. I'm no doctor. Hopefully the meds put you into remission soon.

I have been dealing with my a anal fistula for over a year. Mine flares up and calms down frequently. I tell my doc it's 4 weeks good then 2 weeks bad on average. I just had it plugged a couple days ago and have my fingers crossed it will work. But, I would say after some time (once the infection is under control) mine became very manageable and I felt healthy except for that stupid thing. That's actually what made the decision to get the plug difficult, because things were manageable and I wasn't sure if I should mess with it. But, I trust my doc and we are giving it a shot!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, it seems these fistulas have a mind of their own! I hope the plug works for you and you feel better than ever!