• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question

I had my wisdom teeth removed yesterday and got put on Percoset and Amoxicillin. I am also on Remicade. When I woke up today besides my right side of my mouth being swollen and in pain I started to notice I was a bit red. I took my temp and it is still now not bad but not normal at 99.6. Sometimes when this happens it does go up. A few months ago I had a fever of 102 that I couldnt get rid of and no one was able to explain why I had it and couldnt get rid of it with meds for four days. ( I was also not expericing any sickness besides the fever) I was wondering if I am over reacting or if possibly the combo of meds can be bringing on a fever.

:confused2:

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Hi Jenn, I had my wisdom teeth pulled out at the age of 35. My Crohn's was fairly stable at the time, but the surgery knocked me for a loop!....Make sure you are well hydrated, as dehydration cause an elevated temperature.....I was somewhat feverish and achy post-op for about a solid week. I told the surgeon I would rather have another c-section than do that again!....If you are on an antibiotic, the chance of it being from a bacterial source is low. It may just be your body's response to surgery. Good luck....Man, I hate dental stuff!

Thanks, Yes I tend to get random fevers sometimes. Last one could not be explained and was not due to cold, flu, bacteria. Maybe this one is from the removal of the wisdom teeth. I am trying to keep hydrated, its hard to open my mouth! I tried to drink some soup before and I feel like just skipping class later and going to take a nap.

I always premedicate with antibiotics before I have invasive oral stuff done (which is way too often IMO!). Did you start taking the ab's the night before the surgery? Hopefully it is nothing - but you know what you have to do if it gets very high....you have to call the doc. Fingers crossed that it won't and that you feel better fast (my little chipmunk ;) )

Thank you! Today I woke up and just took the temp. Its 99.2 not bad, but my face is really swollen and hurts. Just cannot wait to be back to normal.

My mouth still hurts a lot. Its strange that my chin and lower lip still feels somewhat numb. I didnt even take this many pain meds for when I had the first resection surgery! I feel like a baby saying that it really hurts though. How long did it take for you to go back to normal or even without pain.
Thanks for asking :)

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I think it took about 2 weeks...maybe less. It sucked eggs! I felt like a baby too. You can't get away from the pain by repositioning your self or resting like with abdominal surgery. The pain meds made me really nauseous....I noticed after eating the pain would be really bad. I think the particles of food would really irritate the socket. If I swished water around and kept it really clean, it seemed to help with the pain.....You will survive. It just takes time.

The first night right after my wisdom teeth removal was the worst of the pain, and I found that removing the packing helped removed the pain. I know you aren't supposed to remove the packing, but I wasn't bleeding too bad and the packing REALLY hurt... so bad I couldn't sit still. I was laying on the couch and my mom said STOP MOVING... and I was like I CAN'T!! lol. The next four days were mild pain and then it took another 4 days to get back to normalish.

Thanks!! I know it will just take some time, but aaarrrgghhh!! lol this sucks! I think after my mouth starts to feel better I will treat myself to something really tasty! I have gotten addicted to greek yogurt now, but after this I want some real food!!!! lol

Now I know why I have had a lot of pain for the lower wisdom tooth that was removed. I thought I was just being a big baby but it was painful and went in today to get the stitches removed. The top one feels fine and ok. But the bottom one woke me up with pain at 5 in the morning and has been very painful this past week. The dentist said I have a dry socket there and had to place medicated gauze in that area to relieve the pain. He told me that it could take possibly another 2 weeks to heal. I need to go back to him every 2-3 days to change the gauze out and get new medicated gauze put in to keep the pain down until it heals. Lucky me lol ! Even though it is the worst taste that I have in my mouth from the medicated gauze, it is better than having the pain!

Rob said:
Dental pain is no fun

glad ya finally gettin some relief
:) thank you i am glad also! I actually just ate dinner and it was not that bad to use my teeth lol !! Soon Soon I will be back to normal!! Now if only I could know when that will be for the intestines!!

farm

Captain Insaneo
Throughout my entire career of Crohns I have had random low grade fevers. Very annoying but I can't tie it to any certain medication.
Gald you are doing better.

Thanks Farm :)

I wonder sometimes where and how the fevers do develop from. I do get them every now and then also. I have not gotten another one since last week though, which is a good thing! This past fall was not a low one it went over the 101 and I could not get rid of it and my doctor said to go to the ER and ordered tests. They couldnt explain where it came from because I did not have a cold or flu.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I just had my wisdoms taken out a few weeks ago. It was so freaking painful. Anyways, I'm glad you found out what all the pain was from. I hear dry sockets are some of the worst pain. I hope you heal up quickly. Good luck, I'll say some prayers for you

Thank you :) It is painful right! Did not expect this lol.....Thought it wouldnt be much due to the surgeries I had in the past... I hope that you are ok Jeff from your wisdom teeth removals.

farm

Captain Insaneo
My GI calls it the "Crohn's Hot Head!" I think mostly because of my attitude though, LOL