• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questions about Drinking and Smoking Marijuana

Hi i am 18 and was Diagnosed with Crohn's 2 years ago.

I have recently been put onto Aazathioprine, Budesonide and Ciprofloxacin.
When i was given the meds they told me that i was unable to drink alcohol on them. To my understanding i am on this as a "permanent" thing until they think to change them, does this mean i cannot drink until i finish/change meds or can i stop taking them for a few days, drink and then keep taking them?
(i also read online that on Budesonide i should not drink due to the dizziness it causes?)

On top of this i also smoke Marijuana sometimes and am wondering if this will interfere with any of the meds or am i good to go on that?

Essentially i am asking if i can drink on these meds or is that my summer/uni days with no drinking and what are the effect of weed on these meds.

Sorry im not a very good writer. Hope the message and questions got accross
Thanks in advance.

I personally would not go off the meds for a couple of days . About the marijuana, underneath the Treatment section, there is a subsection called Medical Marijuana. You might try posting there.

Azathioprine does not work right away. It could take about 8 to 12 weeks before you start feeling better. The maximum effect can take up to 6 months. So stopping it for a few days would have no effect. Alcohol and azathioprine together could cause liver damage. Ask your doctor to be on the safe side.

cmack

Staff member
Hi FruitPastel,

I think it is best to be honest about the herbals and drinking with the doctor. I don't think they will look down on you for being up front about it, most likely they will feel that you are being responsible and are a trustworthy individual. I believe you should ask the doctor.

Best wishes,

cmack

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi and welcome:)
The Cipro (antibiotics) and budesonide (cortico-steroids) shall be temporary. Do not stop any of these 2 especially until the prescription is finished and doctor tells you so. This is VERY important. If your dr prescribed all these it is because you are currently in a flare. Budesonide should help you reach remission in a short time whereas Azathiopurine shall help you maintain the remission and be taken for the long term.
When you will be in a better health and hopefully in full remission and on Aza only, you shall be able to drink on occassions. it will be wise to drink moderately only has alcohol tend to be not so gentle for the intestines. You can ask these questions to your pharmacist also.

As for weed, I personally would not be worried of any interaction, but I am no scientist;). Medical marijuana can even be prescribed for Crohn's. I tried it for a year and was on a similar medication too like AZA;)
Wishing you well.

Hello! I have been on azathioprine for a year. I have drank on occasions and never missed a dose. The advice I have received is to drink in moderation - as in no more than a couple of drinks occasionally. This medication puts a stress on your liver, which I am sure you know alcohol does as well. I have however had a few episodes of mass binge drinking to the point of total memory loss of the night and being hammered. I got bad hangovers before I started this medication but the hangover was a hell of a lot worse on this medication and actually lasted a few days. I wouldn't recommend it but it can be done and it didnt cause any changes on my bi-weekly blood tests that look at my liver function.

I believe marijuana would be fine?