• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questions about Imuran/New to Crohns

Hello,

So I finally got to see my GI doctor last week after having been diagnosed via colonoscopy with Crohns disease. I have been feeling absolutely miserable with constant nausea, almost daily abdominal pain, and extreme fatigue.

The GI said she doesn't really use meds like Pentasa anymore, generally starts on the level of immunosuppressants - so she recommended starting with Entocort to tide me over until Imuran builds up enough in my system. Just got the call today that my labs are fine and I can start the Imuran which will also mean weekly labs for a while, eventually it will just be every three months though.

I've been on the Entocort for a week today now, I have more energy, but also more nausea. I don't get paid until tomorrow, so that's when I'll pick up the Imuran and get started with it.

I work as a registered nurse in a long term care facility, AKA nursing home. We have a fair amount of long term residents, as well as many medicare patients who come for recovery after extreme illness or surgery. I realize that being on Imuran will suppress my immune system. Does anyone here have any experience working in healthcare or with sick people and also being on immunosuppressants? Do you get sick more? Do you get sicker than you used to?

Any tips on dealing with nausea? What about ways to deal with this horrid abdominal pain?

Also, I go in on Thursday for an MRE to see if the inflammation goes anywhere beyond the terminal ileum.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance

Donna

Angrybird

Hello Donna,

What type of foods are you able to eat at the moment? It may may be worth sticking to a bland, low residue diet to see if this helps ease things. Also see if hot baths and a heat pad on the tum helps with the pain. What dose of the Entocort have you been started on? I would let your doc know if you do not notice any improvement in the nausea and pain by the end of the week as this would then have had plenty of time to kick in and start working. I have been on the Imuran twice before and never noticed getting ill any more than normal with just the occasional cold in the winter months. In fact the first time I was on it I worked in a hospital and didn't have a single sick day in over a year. I was just told by my IBD nurse to let them know if anything seemed worse than 'normal' or if the cold symptoms hung around so they could check my bloods.

Please keep us updated on how you get on.

AB
xx