• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questions about Modulen (UK)

Hi, I'm a 20 year old male living in the UK. I was diagnosed with Crohns in July but have just got around to having an appointment with gastro at my local hospital during the winter break home from University and they have put me onto modulin for 8-10 weeks. I have a few queries though..

Firstly, can I eat any flavour/colour Jellies? I know before a previous colonoscopy I was only allowed clear jellies, but I'm not sure how this works?

It also says I'm allowed "Jelly sweets". I'm not sure what it means by this... Me and my mother think it means the standard fruit jellies you can get from supermarkets that don't contain sweeteners/ E numbers. But as I say, I really don't know...

Also, I'm aware I'm not allowed juice with sweeteners in them but what are the limitations with this? My mother bought me Ribena and I've read the ingredients and it seems fine, but I can't help but feel that it's too... artificial? If that's the right word?

Any help would be much appreciated.

- Jordan

Hi Jordan,

Have you seen a dietitian at all? Modulen is usually prescribed through a dietitian and they can answer questions like this. Generally enteral nurtrition (like Modulen) is given as a sole source of nutrition meaning that nothing else but the EN and water are consumed. I've heard of others being allowed things like clear mints and jelly whilst doing EN but the advice varies from one dietitian to the next.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Yeah, I have seen my dietitian and have started on modulin. Now on day 4...

I've just started and so I have all these questions that I don't know the answer to. I have an information leaflet and whatnot that covers the basics but I'm not sure when it comes to these things...

I know I should probably just phone my dietitian and ask but I see her again on the 31st so there's not much point in calling to ask about these things. I just thought I'd see if anybody knew anything in the mean time being curious and all haha.