• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questions about my stoma

hey there,

I've had my stoma nearly 2 and a half months and i noticed a while back that it has white/creamy substance coming from the top of the stoma, it seems its actually on the bowel itself and that its some kind of hole?

The substance use to be there but never threw it out like it has today while i was changing my bag, i think its because my output was watery from drinking a lot of liquids,

Any ideas of what it is or advice on what to do is appreciated as I'm quite worried about it,

Thanks Edgey. :sign0085:

PsychoJane

It is on the stoma and you can clearly see a hole?

The substance gets out at all time or you see this when you change your appliance?

It is on the stoma and you can clearly see a hole?

The substance gets out at all time or you see this when you change your appliance?
hey Jane,
ye its on the stoma i used to think it was just a ridge or a crease but ive notice the white substance is actually coming out of it, I've tried to see if its an hole but its a bit difficult,
And i can see my stoma through my bag and it has the white substance around the the top of the stoma which I've never noticed before,
any ideas?

Thanks for the reply :)

The only thing I ever had that sounds kinda like that is little irritations on mine. They were the size of a pen tip, like a little Ulcer. Found out it was the filter on my bag that kept rubbing against it the wrong way or something. Got a filterless bag and no problems since. Is there anything you can think of that is irritating your stoma? Not sure if its the same cuz not really understanding what is happening with yours :( But if it is a little ulcer looking thing like I had they are normal. You should ask your doc maybe?

Thanks for the reply Snoflayk505 :) ,
but it don't sound nothing like mine, glad to hear yours is fine now.

i have no pain or irritation from it its like a crevice that when i look its just blackness leading me to think its a hole of some sort? :/

Also how could i tell if it were an ulcer seeping or something?

PsychoJane

I was thinking it could have been related to the string/thread that are used to stitch the stoma when it is created. It is getting late to still see anything related to that (I mean, 2 months and a half is a lot to see that still... I also think you should show that to your GI or surgeon. They will be in a better position to determine whatever is happening.

I really think you should talk to your doc. Any black is not normal and should be addressed by a doctor. Maybe you should give them a call tomorrow?

I was thinking it could have been related to the string/thread that are used to stitch the stoma when it is created. It is getting late to still see anything related to that (I mean, 2 months and a half is a lot to see that still... I also think you should show that to your GI or surgeon. They will be in a better position to determine whatever is happening.

Thanks for the answers and reply's, i'll get on the phone to my colorectal nurse today and let you know how it goes :)

I was thinking the same thing, PJane. I had a stitch pop up at 6 weeks. I was able to gently pull it out....it was short and had dissolved underneath. However, like the others said, better to be safe and see your GI.

Feel kinda like a fool but it turns out i have a loop ileostomy so its actually mucus that's meant to be there and its a good thing i did get in touch with the colorectal nurse after all as shes now getting i touch with the surgeon as were approaching the 3 month mark for a reversal, i were told it was an loop ileostomy but i weren't to sure of what it was exactly because i was still not over the fact of having an operation i suppose but i can't wait for the reversal now :D

Thanks for all the help and advice, Edgey :)