• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questions about my symtoms

So I went into the ER wih Kidney stone, something I have suffered from for 7 years. The nurse tells me as shes giving me my discharge papers that my intestine was inflamed. SHe said it could be from me throwing up due to the pain i was expierencing before I had my CT scan. Either way I was referred to a GI doc and he read the paper work from the radiologist and said that the inflamation is in the area where crohn's usually is. I freaked out! I have been reading up on the symptoms of crohn's and they dont really match u with mine. I get diarrhea like 3 to 4 times a month. My stomach doesnt really hrt all the time. sometimes when i need to go to the bathroom bad. I'm gaining weight and I never have fevers. Is there other reasons why my intestines would be inflamed? Do I have Crohn's. Im just scared and looking for answers. Thank you

Nobody on this forum can tell you if you have Crohn's. Crohn's can present in different ways in different people. Certainly there are things other than Crohn's that cause inflammation in the GI track. You didn't specify what the radiologist saw so it is difficult to know if it slightly suggestive or very suggestive of Crohn's.

I'm sure it's stressful hearing this possibilty but try not to worry too much and do follow up with a gastroenterologist to find out more. Even if you have Crohn's, it could be quite mild. Hugs to you!

Thank you for the reply. They said it was my lower intestines... I don’t know still a little unclear myself. What test actually determines if you have the disease? I think the thing that scares me the most is my step son lost his mom to this disease. My fiancé said that she was doing bad drugs and that’s what caused the disease to act like it did.

When I found this website it gave me comfort that so many people are here to support you. Also I see that you can have a normal life with the disease. I will post my results when I get them. Thanks for your support. :heart:

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

The thing with crohn's is everyone is different with how the disease presents itself and not everyone gets the obvious symptoms. That isn't to say you definetly have this and further testing should be done to get a solid diagnosis, these tests can range from bloods, CT scans, MRI's, barium x-rays and colonoscopy (and some others where necessary) combined with your current symptoms whatever they may be and you past medical history. As you have now seen a GI are they now ordering some tests and if so which ones? Have you been prescribed any medication at all?

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

Hello AngryBird,
My doc has ordered a Lower gastrointestinal (GI) tract radiography. He said if the results come back negative then he will use a score and go down my throat to see if I have an ulcer, but if the test comes up positive then he will perform a colonoscopy to try to find the problem. He wasn’t very clear and i wasn't myself at the time. i will be sure to ask him more questions when I get my results from the lower GI pictures.

Can they usually determine from the lower GI series if you have the disease? The way he made it sound is if that test comes out negative he will try and rule out some other reason for my stomach being inflamed at the time of my CT scan. Also I got that CT done on 12-28-12 and have not had any kind of problems.

Thank you!

Angrybird

This test can show whether there is any narrowing or abnormalities in the bowel due to inflammation or scarring but shouldn't be used on it's own to give a definitive diagnosis.

Please keep us updated on how you get on.

Hello AngryBird,
My doc has ordered a Lower gastrointestinal (GI) tract radiography. He said if the results come back negative then he will use a score and go down my throat to see if I have an ulcer, but if the test comes up positive then he will perform a colonoscopy to try to find the problem. He wasn’t very clear and i wasn't myself at the time. i will be sure to ask him more questions when I get my results from the lower GI pictures.

Can they usually determine from the lower GI series if you have the disease? The way he made it sound is if that test comes out negative he will try and rule out some other reason for my stomach being inflamed at the time of my CT scan. Also I got that CT done on 12-28-12 and have not had any kind of problems.

Thank you!
Hi Jenny,

I had a colonoscopy a year ago just because I'm 50 and you're supposed to get them to check for colon cancer. Afterwards, the gastro doctor told me I had something on my intestines that looked like what people with Crohn's have - but I had NO symptoms so he said there is nothing to treat at this time. Fast forward to this past fall, I started getting all of the symptoms. So the gastro doctor told me to first get a Upper and lower GI / barium x-rays and if that didn't show anything, he would recommend a endoscope. So your doctor is recommending the same thing mine did.

When I had the upper/lower GI barium x-rays, the radiologist told me I definitely had Crohn's - I had "stricturing" in my small intestine.

Good luck, I hope you find out soon.

Hello all. So since the last post I have had a lower bowel series done. The notes from the radiologist read "Of the normal ileal mucosal pattern and signs of mucosal or submucosala 10 cm segment of evident nodular mucosal or wall thickening." The impression read ''abnormality of the terminal ileum with edema. Clinical correlation for infectious or inflammatory terminal ileitis recommended.''

Now I don't know about you but I about died! That to me was a death sentence. I then had a colonoscopy done and found in the second portion of the duodenum and the ileocecal valve/terminal ileum there was acute and chonic inflammation.

Now that really scared me but, as I keep reading these byopsy results it states '' No grabulomas are identified in any of the specimens to specifically diagnose Crohn's disease, however, the inflamtion could represent involvment by crohns disease. No spiral shaped bactiera charicteristic of Helicobacter speices are identified in the duodenal or gastric biopsies on immunostain. Epithelial dysplasia or malignancy is not seen.

Now that being said, what would you think about everything? I am not sure if I’m in denial or I’m just scared that they are going to diagnose me with something I don't have. I went to the ER last week because I had a bad belly ache and weird look poo. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't dying because I really didn’t know what to expect.
The ER doc admits me in the hospital thinking he seen lesions on my liver in a CT scan. I get a ultra sound the next day and everything is fine. I just have inflammation in the ileum and I end up staying there for 8 days!! Mind you this whole time they have me on a liquid diet!! They don't understand why my stomach is hurting so bad, they were pumping me with so many steroids my belly couldn’t handle it. I also was taking pain meds and anti-nauseous meds.
I am a mother of four beautiful kids and I’m scared… one of my kids he is my step son and 3 years ago in March he lost his mother to this disease. I don’t know to this day why this has happened or the reason, but I feel in my heart it was for a reason and I hope that reason is to help everyone that struggles with this disease everyday of their lives.

Thank you so much for listening to me vent. 

Love always
Jenny

Angrybird

When will you be seeing your doc about the test results? Are you still on a liquid diet and the steroids? What pain meds were you on? I can understand your concern and I don't think it helps that test results are sent out direct to patients without there being a doc present to explain fully what they mean. To me the inflammation means something definitely is going on - perhaps crohn's, but one thing this means is the doc cannot say you have IBS as you don't get inflammation with this.