• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sticky Questions for your Surgeon

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Since there are various surgeries I will use the word resection for the questions. They should be applicable to most surgery so just insert the appropriate type:

What is a resection?

What are the benefits of a resection?

What happens during a resection?

Is a laparoscopic resection right for me?

What are the complications and risks associated with a resection?

How long will the resection take?

What will sort of IV's, tubes and drains will I have following resection?

Will there be scar(s)?

What should I watch out for?

How long will I be in the hospital?

When can I expect to return to work and/or normal activities?

What other treatments will I need in addition to a resection?

Please add further questions that you think may be of use.

Dusty. :)

Nyx

What kind of treatment will I need after my surgery?

Will I need home care for my wounds?

What kind of meds will I need? Painkillers? Maintenance meds?

What kind of complications can arise during the surgery and are there ways I can prepare ahead of time to lessen them?

What should I expect during recovery? (ie. any leakages, issues with stitches/staples/glue)

If I have to have open surgery, how much longer will the procedure be and what complications can come with that?

That's all I can think of right now...lol I may add more later...

These questions would have been so useful had I joined this forum before my surgery. I found I had so much info thrown at me after being told I had to have surgery after only 4 months of being diagnosed.I was so overwhelmed with questions I didn't even know where to start! Very useful information for future Crohnies. Thanks guys!

Here is my list of questions, since I'm going to see a surgeon tomorrow. I thought I would post this all just in the off chance it was useful to someone else:

Will I have to have this stricture out sooner or later, or is it possible to live my whole life with this problem? (what happens if I do not have surgery?)
Do you think that balloon dilation or strictureplasty would be effective? As effective as surgery?
What exactly would be removed?
What are the risks, short term and long term? Do risks include adhesions, new fistulas, abscesses, or temporary ileostomy?
Is the surgery laparoscopic or laparotic?
Would I have to discontinue humira (or any drug) before surgery? If so, how long would I be off it?
How long is the operation?
How long would I be in the hospital?
What is recovery like?
How long would recovery take?
What meds would I be on after the surgery?
Is surgery usually covered by insurance?

(This comment doesn't really fit into this thread but I don't know where else to put it.)

If at all possible, take someone else, whom you trust, with you to listen to the answers from your surgeon and even take notes. It is really easy for the patient not to hear clearly or to misunderstand, especially if the news is not good or is distressing. It will also give you someone to talk it over with.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
It fits perfectly here Susan2 and it is a very valid point. 2 sets of ears and eyes are surely better than 1 and it can be very comforting and reassuring to have a support person with you.

Thanks! :)
Dusty. xxx

Awesome addition Susan. I've heard stories go wrong b/c the patient was under the influence of meds ,anesthesia etc...it's always a good idea to have someone with you who is thinking a little more clearly than you are at that moment and can drive you if you having a procedure, not just a consult. Muah- hugs-

KWalker

For specific surgeries, I always want to know if it's a general surgeon or a specified doctor for crohns related issues.

Also, it could be because I'm one of the younger adults on here but when I was younger I was hoped to have an old doctor because I thought they would be more serious/better than the younger ones. When I had my problems with crohns last year and had the abscess surgeries my surgeon was a young girl and she was maybe 30. I actually felt so much more comfortable with her because I feel like she understood me better than an older doctor who has different views/opinions than the younger generation

Here is my list of questions, since I'm going to see a surgeon tomorrow. I thought I would post this all just in the off chance it was useful to someone else:

Will I have to have this stricture out sooner or later, or is it possible to live my whole life with this problem? (what happens if I do not have surgery?)
Do you think that balloon dilation or strictureplasty would be effective? As effective as surgery?
What exactly would be removed?
What are the risks, short term and long term? Do risks include adhesions, new fistulas, abscesses, or temporary ileostomy?
Is the surgery laparoscopic or laparotic?
Would I have to discontinue humira (or any drug) before surgery? If so, how long would I be off it?
How long is the operation?
How long would I be in the hospital?
What is recovery like?
How long would recovery take?
What meds would I be on after the surgery?
Is surgery usually covered by insurance?
I's like to know if they answer to all these questions.

Thank you for these questions. I too want my wife and mother cause i know they will ask questions i wont.

Thank you all! I have always been the caretaker, for my 100% military disabled husband and we are not old, in our 40's. Boy, this is going to be hard to reverse roles, despite what I do to be healthy, I am not in charge. As an education major who specializes in research to make education better, I should realize that by now. It's not simple, it's not easy, but complex and I cannot fix it!

Thanks to everyone who has posted in here, I'm meeting my surgeon on Tuesday to discuss my resection and these listed questions have been very helpful! Taking my mum, as I know I'll not take everything in and she's a nurse so helps with the medical jargon!

Totally could have used these tips a month ago before I had my resection, but they are all great questions. Taking someone with you to the pre-op appointment is so helpful, they will always think of things you won't. Any time the doc would ask me if I have questions, I just looked at him, like, de-duh-de...lol. One other question that is helpful, especially for after surgery is what you can and should bring with you to the hospital. I'm sure different hospitals have different rules, but I recommend bringing your own pillow! Not only will it make you feel more at home, but theirs can be not so comfy.

I have a full length sheepskin (really two sheepskins sewn together) that I take if I anticipate being in hospital for a while. It makes life so much more comfortable.

Do not be afraid to ask the surgeon a list of these questions. I have had three resections. One question I made sure to ask my surgeon was that he promised he would be the one operating on me. I went to UCLA which is a teaching hospital and many times a student will do an operation while the surgeon looks on and teaches. That was one big question I had because this was my body and life so i had concerns. In fact I changed surgeons because the first one would not promise my request but the second surgeon did. The first surgeon was very rude to me when I asked that question. The one who did my last resection was a very nice surgeon and explained everything to me.

I'd add a couple of questions for your surgeon :

1) How likely is my digestive system likely to go into temporary "gastric statis" (lockdown) after surgery?

2) Can you explain about Bile Acid Malabsorption? (relevant to anyone losing their terminal ileum)

I recently wrote a post which mentions the last two (plus a couple of other things I would like to pass on). The post is here - http://www.crohnoid.com/2014/12/awareness.html

i met with my surgeon 3 days ago...planniny for another resection. I had one in 2002, but forgot the pain. So im nervous. I had a temporary illostomy ba and they reversed it a month later after i healed. So nervous because my last semester starts jan 13th and i just need 6 credits to graduate with my bachelors degree. Im getting an upper GI test done the 29th, then the surgeon will determine when to do surgery. She said January but what about school?? im so torn. Will i heal and be able to commute 45min twice a week to graduate in may.. i so dont want to postpone another semester...ugh!

i asked my surgeon like 10 ?s and she said i will be in too much pain to concentrate and study. I said i would suffer through it lol
Like many have said 5-7 days in hospital and 6-8 weeks recovery at home. I found a friend to drive me to school, if need be. Also maybe email my professors and miss first 2 Weeks?? I said to myself, if i can get in by the 1st of jan. Ill stay registered...i wish i just knew an exact date. Not knowing sucks. idk Im just stressed and really want to graduate with my friends :(
What should i do?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
How long a break do you have this time of year?

My two kids were in high school when they had there surgery. Both were back at school 3 weeks post op. My son was also doing uni part time so dropped back to one unit for that semester but he was also doing two Year 12 subjects at school. So close to a full study load and he was able to manage that well.

I hear you about graduating with your friends. :ghug:

What surgery are you having and why?

Dusty. xxx

Hi Robin,

Is it possible for you to make two plans? It'd be great for you if you can make it back and you have arrangements in place to help you do that. However, it's important not to put yourself under stress while recovering as it will use up vital energy. Could you maybe meet with your professors and work out a plan B as well?

I was taken ill a few months before I was due to finish my professional training. In my case there was no chance of finishing on time as I needed multiple major ops. It was hard being seperated from friends and collegues that I'd known and progressed alongside for years. But you know in the long run, it didn't make any difference. I finished when I could and was proud of what I had to overcome to get there. Your friends will still cheer you on and you can do the same for them.

On a more practical note what part of the bowel are you having resected? Sometimes (but by know means always) it is more complex when you've had previous ops. I wish you all the best. Don't be afraid to put your health first if you need to.

All fantastic advice, thanks folks. I'm meeting my surgeon in a fortnight and I'm so worried I'm going to forget something 😐 I'm taking my partner with me just in case I zone out lol. I have written a rather long list so fingers crossed and bum cheeks clenched 😂