• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questions to ask surgeon about getting rectum and anus removed

Hi plz can somebody help me on what questions I should ask my surgeon about in three week when I go see him about getting my rectum and anus removed. I can only think of a few... Thanks Rachel xx

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Hi Rachel,

Perhaps you can post here what questions you have so far so we can give some additional ones that we can think of.

Your questions should cover off whatevermain concerns you have. Here are some I thought of, but feel free to share with us what your major worries and concerns related to the surgery are and we can try to help you come up with a few more.

*How long is it expected to take me to recover?

*How likely are there to be complications from the surgery and what would these complications be?

*What are the major risks I encounter by having this surgery and how likely are those risks?

*What should I do once surgery is finished to speed up my recovery?

Hi all I've got so far is how long will it take and how will the surgery be performed and will they go through the same scars or make new ones. I'm so scared about everything recovery, healing and pain thanks for this really appreciate it x x

David

Co-Founder
I just wanted to bump your thread as I see you requested additional support. I also renamed your title a little in an effort to get you more responses. I hope you don't mind! If so, let me know and I'll change it back.

Hi Rachel, here are a few other suggestions:

1. How many of these surgeries have you performed?

2. Is it done laparascopically or open?

3. What are the risks of Persistent Perianal Sinus? And how can we decrease that risk?

Good luck.