• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Questran

Hi.is anyone on or used questran before.this is my 2 spell on it but was to long ago to remember what it actually did for me the 1st time around.im currently taking it for a major flare as when I had my resection it left me with the inability to control my bile salts
Any way it's a week nearly and still got the big D.just wondered if anyone taking it or who took it if it eventually stopped the shits......
Got another week left but I ain't prepared to keep going if it's not going to control my BM as its already giving me the hump.no sleep as I'm up every hour.
Rant over thanks for listening
CRAIG

How many sachets are you taking Craig, and how do you take it?
After my resection, i took 3 sachets a day to start off with. I mix one sachet with with blackcurrant cordial and top it up with water in a pint glass.
Im now on 1 sachet a day, and that does the trick unless ive eaten something with quite fatty.

Hi deb.im on 2 a day and just mix it with fruit juice or water.i was on it before as I went a bit runny after weaning of the steroids if memory serves me.im being touted for stoma so they want me to do this to see if it's the bile salts that are causing the problem or my bowel is just given in.how long have you been taking it for??

Hi Craig,

Its god awful when you are trying to get the bloody d to stop, its like being on a constant
treadmill to the loo!
I think you will know if its the bile salts causing your d. Its almost the same sensation as when you get indigestion, and you burp back up that acid burning feeling. Well for me when its bile going straight through me its the same burning sensation ouch!!

Ive been taking the questran for about 7 years, but like i say you have to add more questran to the mix if youve had something fatty. Too much and you get bunged up.

Hope its the bile, and you dont have to get a stoma

Best wishes to you

hi deb im not to sure it is the bile salts thats causing the problem.im actually in some discomfort at the mo,passing blood and my stomach is now getting bloated and full of wind since i took the sachets.im due to go on holiday in 3 weeks and i cringe at the thought of walking about spain on a loo spotting mission and ive already been told i need the bag,in a way im kinda glad im getting it as i want my life back,ive been unable to work for 4years now,cant take my kids to the park or swimming without fear of shitting myself,its been awfull so i cant get any lower,
in the words of YAZZ AND THE PLASTIC POPULATION.....THE ONLY WAY IS UP!!!! LOL

deb123, I'm a comparative newcomer to Questran & after a lot of trial & error I'm now on 2 sachets a day.
When you say add more questran if you've eaten a lot of fatty food but it can bung you up-well I've been there very recently. In fact my stools are flattened out sort of thing. I hoping & praying its not another stricture & a result of the Questran. But last week I had major problems going to the toilet. I was also told I could use upto 9 Loperamide a day, thats now down to 3.
Also I've been taking a sachet with 150ml of water as per instructions. Didn't realize you could use more liquid??

Craig, Sorry to hear your in so much discomfort. Ref the wind, your not wrong. Questran really bloats me up as well. Hope whatever you decide to do turns out well for you. Ref Spain, if your going to a lively resort then you should be ok. Plenty of Bars usually with decent facilities. Have a good holiday.
Regards
Grant

Hi Craig,
I suffered from the wind bloaty thing. My Gastro dr perscribed me some antibiotics, something to do with bad bacteria feeding on food and creating gas??!
Have an excellent holiday, and at least you'll get your vitamin D from the sunshine, not like the bloody wet UK - can you believe how much rain we've had??

Grant,
I dont think there are hard and fast rules with the Questran, i couldnt possibly take it with the instructed amount of liquid, cause it made me gag!!
I used to fill up a large bottle when i was on 3 sachets and fill it up with juice, and drink it throughout the day. I think the more liquid you add to the mix the less likely you will get bunged up. I dont know about the flat stools though.

deb123, you've given me an idea. Tonight I'm going to use a full tumbler of water instead of 150ml & see how I go.
BTW your not wrong about the rain, never known a summer like this.
Grant

@deb ye the rain is pretty rotten,kept me off my bike to and im bored out my mind but the hol will cheer me up so all good.im waiting for fone call tomorrow on whether to continue or not as im living on borrowed time as it is.not really sure why the have me on it knowing im op bound anyway but just got to roll with it.the bacteria thing might be close to home for me too,they dont know if i have infection or just bad flare so waiting on stool test to.find out soon i hope

@grant ye were in a 4*hotel so hopefully it will be kitted out with loo's about the place or i just pap my towle on the bed closest or sit in the bar haha

I'm on two sachets a day now but the bloating & wind I get in the afternoons is intolerable tbh. Think I'll go to one sachet a day & see how I go.
Rgds
Grant