• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Quick Imuran Question

:sign0085:

I'm currently on 100mg of Imuran and my doctor is considering raising the dose to 150mg.

What I'm curious about is whether that dose is considered, normal, high or average?

I heard it has something to do with your weight also. If that's the case I'm a 22 year old male, weigh 155lbs and I'm 5'10.

Thanks in advance!

I think that's actually fairly normal. My GI says the range for Imuran is 2 to 2.5 mg per kilogram. I am 120 lbs (54 kg) and on 125 mg. My range is 108 mg to 135 mg. If my math is right, you're about 70 kg so you could go anywhere from 140 mg to 175 mg. Of course that may just be my GI.

Hope that helps!

Ok, one more quick question :)

Hopefully someone knows the answer. I've upped my dose to 150mg from 100mg on doctors orders.

Imuran can sometimes take up to 3 months to be effective, but I wanna know, does it take that long for an extra 50mg been added to the original 100mg to take affect?

Or will it be quicker seen as I was already on 100mg for quite a while?

Hopefully someone has any idea. :/

I think it may be quicker. I recently went up from 100 to 125 and I felt the effects (at least that's what I think it was from) about a month and a half later.

I am just starting out at 100mgs. Later on this week I move up to 225mgs. Not sure which weight they are using as I lost 47 pounds from c diff.