• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Quick question

Scipio

Several things:
  • Technical feasibility - not all surgeries can be done via laparoscope
  • Surgeon's skill - not all surgeons are trained/experienced in laparoscopic surgery
  • Surgeon's preference - the surgeon may judge that a given case would be best done by a given method - better chances of a good outcome
  • Elective surgery vs. emergency surgery - emergency surgery is almost always open surgery

Several things:
  • Technical feasibility - not all surgeries can be done via laparoscope
  • Surgeon's skill - not all surgeons are trained/experienced in laparoscopic surgery
  • Surgeon's preference - the surgeon may judge that a given case would be best done by a given method - better chances of a good outcome
  • Elective surgery vs. emergency surgery - emergency surgery is almost always open surgery
Thank you for the info!

I just had laparotomy instead of laparoscopy because they found possible adherences from my first surgery.
I’d say it does not appear to make huge changes in any terms (recovery in hospital or at home…)

if it’s your first surgery it will probably be done with laparoscopy anyway