• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Quinoa, a gluten free alternative

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey I came across this, but I use Quinoa flakes, made in the US and about 10bucks a box "Ancient Harvest" Flakes. I eat the hot cereal and put cinnamon in it. I use rice milk and stevia sugar. So far my flare is behaving but I know if I eat something risky it is gonna explode. You can make muffins, cookies and lots of stuff. The flakes are quicker to use. It says on this site for people with digestive bowel disorders. I have used this on and off for years. Check it out..

http://www.canada.com/health/Quinoa+versatile+superfood/3295415/story.html

Last edited:
Great stuff by very high in protein which is not so great for gout! I do love the taste! I tried Spelt, another grain, with rice milk for breakfast-nice!

Oh, I'm keen to try some stevia but it is not available in the health shops in the UK. Is it really sweet and like sugar in texture?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Well Stevia products are not all created equal, I had to search for the one that didnt have an after taste, even though they say no after taste... the one I use is "Nature's harmony" . There is someone on here, not sure who but they grow it, and I have no idea about that. But since we all tend to head towards sugar, there are no carbs, calories, or Aspartame. It does have Vitamin C in it, about 20% daily intake. Just dont overload on it, says nor moret than 20 packets a day. As for a really sweet taste, hard to say, I can't really comment on it.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I searched and it is Kelly from Canada, she grows it on her belcony. She will come on and see this, and give us an update on that lol. KELLY!!!!!!!!!!

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
PENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm here!!!!! I dragged my sore tummy to a water fitness class this evening. It hurts to move and it hurts to stay still, so I've decided to move. But I'm back now and ready to wax poetic about stevia.

And, hi again, Joe! Yes, I grow stevia outside and, next month, am going to bring it inside to try indoor winter growing as well. It gets to about 3 feet tall and is a pretty plant -- okay, it's kind of thin and floppy, but I think (almost) all plants are pretty. The leaves taste very sweet with a good dose of wintergreen or maybe just plain chlorophyll mixed in. The leaves are to be harvested, dried, and then ground into a powder. I'll be doing that next month before the snow flies. I enjoy picking a leaf and enjoying it whole and fresh, too. It's a nice snack and goes well with rocking on my balcony swing while watching the baseball game in the park that's over a ways...okay, I sound old now.

While I'm waiting for my own stevia to "mature," I've picked up a bag of the powdered version at my local grocery store. A pinch of stevia in a cup of tea is delish! It has a zero glycemic index, which is especially good while on prednisone.

Getting back to the thread topic, I love quinoa, too. Quinoa cooked in chicken broth with soy sauce on top is a particular favourite. Sweet quinoa pudding (various recipes available online) is quite nice, too. It is a good source of protein, which you wouldn't necessarily expect from an ancient grain like quinoa. If you can find quinoa flakes cereal at your local organic store, I heartily recommend it as well (although I haven't tried it since I got Crohn's -- cereal in general is hard to eat these days).

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
Stevia Gardening Update:

The dried version of the varietal I grew is... kind of disgusting. Seriously. It tastes like dulse (dried seaweed) coated in sugar.

Trial #2 was crushing the fresh leaves between my fingers and then placing them to stew in boiling water. This had a better result: sweetish, green, water that should work nicely as a base for iced tea.

Trial #3 was skipping the middle step and simply brewing tea leaves and stevia leaves together. Perfect.

I'm going to transplant the remaining stevia into an indoor pot to see if I can keep it alive over the winter. The fresh leaves are so yummy, even just eaten on their own.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Thanks Kelly, where do you get the seeds to grow Stevia? So far I have been buying mine at Zellers, only brand I like, cause they are not all equal. $10 a box but I only have it in my coffee or my cereal. I drink herbal teas like Summerberry which is sweet and dont need sugar. Thanks for the update!

Getting back to the thread topic, I love quinoa, too. Quinoa cooked in chicken broth with soy sauce on top is a particular favourite. Sweet quinoa pudding (various recipes available online) is quite nice, too. It is a good source of protein, which you wouldn't necessarily expect from an ancient grain like quinoa. If you can find quinoa flakes cereal at your local organic store, I heartily recommend it as well (although I haven't tried it since I got Crohn's -- cereal in general is hard to eat these days).
Quinoa is where it's at!