• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Quit my part-time job today

I quit my part-time job today. It was only 2 days a week but I feel like it's too much for me right now. I am emotionally drained! Mornings here are a struggle these days. I get S up extra early because he has at least 2 and sometimes 3 bowel movements each morning that include lots of cramping. In between getting ready for school he's either on the toilet or sitting with the heating pad :(. Terrible way to start the day! I then find myself in a funk and worrying all day until he's home from school. Focusing at work has been difficult so for now I've taken that off my plate.

Will someone please wake me up from this nightmare......

OMG Shelley we really ARE leading parallel lives! I have been on leave from my job since the end of January. I have to renew the leave every 2 or 3 weeks and I keep thinking that this will be the last time I renew it and then when the time comes to go back I just can't figure out how to make it all work.

I was a stay at home mum for 7 years and only went back to work 2 years ago. I work full time and at the best of times I find that near impossible to juggle. With all this going on I can't fathom how to make it all work. Who would pick up my son everyday at lunchtime? Who would coordinate all the appointments? And most importantly who would be there when he feels crappy? We have a very supportive family that can, and do, give us a hand but I still feel like work would be impossible at this time.

So I am sorry to hear that you have quit your job but I have to say I am a little relieved to hear that I am not the only one who is feeling like this. Sometimes I feel like I'm just being a big wimp...

Hi Shelley and Twiggy,
I know how you feel. (I am having a black-dog day myself here ... as Dusty would say.) I am very lucky that I have been able to work part-time from home, almost exclusely for the last 3.5 years. I could not imagine having to commute to work as I did in the past and deal with everything health issues bring to a family. But, I imagine that working from home may not be an option for many jobs. It is a great mental distraction for me.

Two years ago I bought a home-decor plaque with your quote on it:
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain. "
It is not easy for sure!

Wow, T! We ARE in the same nightmare aren't we! There is nothing more important than taking care of our kids. Just makes me so mad that crohn's is stealing so much from us right now. I'm feeling the depression heavy today. I know a lot of that has to do with not having a treatment plan in place. Hoping to hear from the doctor today on the biopsies. I'm counting down the days until school is out too. One less thing to worry about!

S sent S an Xbox friend request yesterday :)

Praying for better days ahead for our boys!

Sorry to hear you had to quit your job. I can understand why. I spent a year training to become a massage therapist but as yet haven't been able to do any work as I cannot ever know when Andrew will be off school or have one of his many hospital/clinic visits. There is no way I could work just now. If I get any spare time I grab a coffee with a friend to cheer me up!
Feeling a bit on the depressed side myself while I try to decide whether to go ahead with the meds.
A nice hot bath (preferably with bubbles :ysmile:) and a good book is an escape!

I haven't worked since Violet was born, never do when kids are small, but when I would have returned at jr high stage I could not...not with her sick. Even though she was "well" until the past few months, she still missed a lot of school due to dysauto, and I haven't been able to be ok with not being here "just in case" I'm needed. Not to mention waiting on her like a personal maid since Oct 11 while she languishes (not anymore, thank you prednisone :ysmile:).
*sigh* another resentment for the adult children to harbor I guess...:redface:

That's great! It must be hard to let go of it, but I'm sure it'll help you be more sane long term. I am 80% and so could not pull full time anymore now. There's too many things to do most days, it's nuts.

Oh ladies this thread has made me feel so much better. I don't mean to say that I am glad any of you are having a hard time I am just glad that I am not the only one who feels like it is impossible to juggle both work and a sick child. I feel very fortunate that our family has the resources to live off of one income and am grateful that I can commit this time to my son. My heart goes out to all the parents who don't have the choice to stay home, you working parents are stronger than I could ever be!

I often joke that managing Izz's medical care is a ft job.
I was a SAHM until last November, when our bills got overwhelming.

I honestly feel somewhat better working-it takes my mind off of her disease and allows me to be "Angie" again, instead of just "mom". It also allows me to do things for myself and my kids that I was unable to do as a SAHM. It takes the stress off of her dad (we have been apart two years but he was still paying all of the bills) financially also.
That all being said I work midnights and work 7 days/get 7 days off.
I think we all cope differently-while I am super pro-active in researching treatments that work, watching her labs, and gauging the severity of her disease, I need time away from it to keep me sane.

On a related note, I started running races shortly after her diagnosis, and after hearing about her colectomy surgery I made a decision to go back to school (I work as an x ray tech and have a nursing degree but would like to pursue my Bachelors online and eventually become a PA when the kids are both in school ft). I think that doing something for myself gives me the strength to be there for her and something else to focus on and give my life direction. It isn't that I don't *want* to focus on Izz...it is that I can't dwell on it.
As long as we all have something that works for us, right?! :thumleft:

Angie, I wish I could be more like you!! I think being able to do other things besides living and breathing crohn's 24/7 is way more productive. What you are doing is admirable! I'm thinking you must have a big S on your chest ;-).

I know exactly how you all feel. I had always been a SAHM up until about 3 years ago. DH has always been self employed and his work slowed down alot. I prayed for God to bring us work. Becca worked at a daycare at that time and the daycare offered me a job. That I didnt even apply for I didnt feel I could turn it down because that was work just like I had asked for us. So I worked there for about 6 months. I didnt like how alot of the teachers treated the kids. And I so missed being at home with my kids like I had always been. I was also still Homeschooling both boys. So I decided to get listed with the State and do childcare out of my home. I did that up until Ko got sick and went in the hospital in Feburary. I had 3 little boys (2 age 2 and 1 14 months) They kept me busy but were so much fun. I decided when Ko got sick he needed me more now then ever. So I stopped doing childcare. I am giving all my time to Ko. I know God is watching over us because now DH is staying so busy and so far the income I lost DH is making. DH and Sky are out of town for the next week for work. Yes that was hard him leaving with Ko being sick but he knew he had to take this work.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh Shelley...:hug:

I have so much respect and admiration for you all. I don't know what I would have done in your given situations except exactly what you are. If you are doing what you are most comfortable with then that will be translated into the care that you provide. You will be more relaxed and better able to cope with all this disease throws at you. For some that will be staying at home, for others it will be part time work and for yet others it will be full time work. As the saying goes...If Mum's not happy no one is!

Kudos to all! :)

Dusty. xxx