• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Raised inflammatory markers

raised inflammatory markers

Just got blood test results and CRP = 130 and ESR = 105 and WCC = 15, I do have a chest infection at the mo and dull right sided pain but nothing out of the ordinary. I got my bloods repeated today so should get the results tonight. Do you think it's possible that a chest infection can cause such a rise in inflammatory markers?, i'm not overly concerned it's a problem with the crohn's but who knows... why do things always kick off on a friday afternoon!

Jessi

Archie - It has to be Friday afternoon, because the added stress over the weekend helps to progress the pain so the doctors take us more seriously on Monday morning. :)

I have a good friend who has ILD - or Interstitial Lung Disease.

"Definition By Mayo Clinic staff:
...Interstitial lung disease can be caused by long-term exposure to hazardous materials, such as asbestos. Some types of autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, also can cause interstitial lung disease. In most cases, however, the causes remain unknown..."

My friend was told that it was a chest infection before being properly diagnosed. Do you have trouble breathing? His "infection" caused inflammation beyond belief.

My intention is not to scare you, so I hope I haven't. :hug: Your post just made me think of this. Maybe you'll find it helpful, or you can just disregard it.

Hi Jessi thank you for your reply, I honestly don't think its as serious as that (I hope not anyway!!) I've had a productive cough for 6 weeks and this week it just seemed to take a turn for the worse, I should have been at the doc ages ago but I am my own worse enemy by not going I always don't think I'm bad enough infact I still prob wouldn't have gone if my mother hadn't forced me!, same thing happened last year when I had a perforated bowel, anyway different story. I was just unsure if everything should be raised that high with a chest infection. Oh and by the way very little scares me (lol) so don't worry about that, I did google it though :)

Jessi

Archie, I'm with you. Nobody treats me more poorly than myself. I am so stubborn about getting to the doctor, that it scares my husband. My last flare, I refused to be admitted. I was a wreck, honestly, and I'm lucky I'm alive after being so stubborn.

Anyway, sorry I can't offer any advice, but I'm sure glad I didn't tweak you out. :D

well the WCC is down to 10 but the inflammatory markers are still as high, I'll get them repeated in a week and hope these killer anti-biotics do the trick.