• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Raisin bran agony

Hi all,
Last night I had a bowl of raisin bran - a childhood fave I have not had in years. I woke up to hideous gut pain and a strange combo of c and d. Lots of straining (10 min or so) for a little of c or d then a brief break 1 - 15 minutes and I am back in the bathroom doing it again.
Sometimes only getting as far as the door before spinning around and running back.

It's been 4 hours of this and finally it is settling down. Longer breaks less pain etc.

Is this from the raisin bran?? Anyone else get this?

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Could be too much fiber and your digestive system is having trouble processing it. Do you have this problem with other high fiber foods?

I know when I eat broccoli since diagnosed I get TERRIBLE pains all night. Needless to say broccoli is now on my DO NOT EAT list.

That must be it, I don't generally eat much high fiber food and when I do it is a tiny amount. I really don't understand straining for d though - why does that happen?

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
what were your stools like before eating the cereal? were you having constant D? Are you mid-flare at the present moment?

it ranges from d to soft formed. Nothing is constant where that is. Since starting cimzia I have been pretty good but as I have joint pain that comes back about 10 days after the shot even with the pred I am likely flaring some.

hi sailorluna...that kind of stuff i would not touch with a barge pole,any high fibre stuff is a no-no even when i eat 50-50 bread we get in the UK im straight to the loo never mind full fibre stuff,
I havnt eaten brown bread or anything high fibre since dx 6 years ago...

I also really like raisin bran. I have not been able to eat it since going gluten free 6 years ago though. But I will say that the raisins are gassy and mix it with bran and whooa, you are going to get some gas. It is also like CrohnsChicago said, full of fiber. Maybe it was just too hard on your system. I hope you are feeling better by now....

Hi all,
Last night I had a bowl of raisin bran - a childhood fave I have not had in years. I woke up to hideous gut pain and a strange combo of c and d. Lots of straining (10 min or so) for a little of c or d then a brief break 1 - 15 minutes and I am back in the bathroom doing it again.
Sometimes only getting as far as the door before spinning around and running back.

It's been 4 hours of this and finally it is settling down. Longer breaks less pain etc.

Is this from the raisin bran?? Anyone else get this?

:hug: Poor you. I avoid bran too cause of the fibre content. Especially things like raisin bran cos of the way it soaks up liquid and bulks up. It sounds like it may have blocked you a bit. Hope it passes soon.

Nyx

The raisins will get you too...they bulk up as soon as you add any liquid to them. My doctor put them on my "foods to avoid" list after I had my stoma surgery. Sounds like you have a bit of a blockage. Hope you feel better soon.

As another one who really likes raisin bran, I also have to avoid it. It causes so much cramping that as much as I enjoy it, I find it isn't worth it. Actually, anything with raisins causes problems. My son had some raisinettes, and I ate a few without thinking. Ugh.

thanks everyone. I have been thinking that I might have some narrowing but it had not occurred to me that the two were related. I will have to watch what I eat. Thanks.

I eat raising bran every morning with almond milk. I seem to do ok with it but get real gassy around 10am. It could be what is causing it.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
back in the day when my diet was high fiber I would always get gassy. Once I cut out the fiber (and more recently the milk) the gas eased up significantly.