• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ramson, Bear Garlic for Crohn´s?

Ramson, Bear Garlic for Crohn´s?

Ramson / Bear's garlic / Bear paw garlic / Broad-leaved garlic / Buckrams / Gypsy onion / Hog garlic / Wild garlic / Wild wood garlic / Wood garlic.

This plant has many names. I read that it has a very strong anti inflamatory effect and can be used for Crohns and UC.

Are there anybody here who have tried it?

cmack

Staff member
Ramson / Bear's garlic / Bear paw garlic / Broad-leaved garlic / Buckrams / Gypsy onion / Hog garlic / Wild garlic / Wild wood garlic / Wood garlic.

This plant has many names. I read that it has a very strong anti inflamatory effect and can be used for Crohns and UC.

Are there anybody here who have tried it?

Here are some preliminary findings...

The leaves of A. ursinum can be mistaken for lily of the valley, sometimes also those of Veratrum viride, Colchicum autumnale and Arum maculatum. All four are poisonous. Grinding the leaves between the fingers and checking for a garlic-like smell can be helpful, but if the smell remains on the hands, one can mistake a subsequent poisonous plant for bear garlic.

If you are picking wild Allium ursinum/Bear's garlic, be careful. It sounds like there have been a lot of mistakes resulting in poisoning due to improper plant identification.

I intend to try growing some if it is available here. I will keep you posted.

Source: Risk of mix-up with bear's garlic - BfR warns pickers about fatal consequences of mistaking free-growing poisonous plants for bear’s garlic, German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment; 2005- http://www.bfr.bund.de/en/press_information/2005/10/risk_of_mix_up_with_bears_garlic-6228.html

This onion species, Allium ursinum, grows naturally in my country, I eat it in a pesto, as a soup..

It is true it can be mistaken for some plants, in my country those are Colchicum autumnale and Convallaria majalis (both poisonous). The thing is that their leaves look very similar, they differ in flowers but in spring you only have the leaves, they flower later so you have to recognize it by leaves only. The only thing that you can definitely be sure of is, if it smells like onions, it is Allium ursinum. If it doesn't, it isn't. There are also smaller differences in their leaves but that is a more difficult thing to see. So definitely smell every leaf. :)

Maybe the leaves can be mistaken, but if you pick them in the forest, it´s very easy to see the difference on the flowers. Everything of natural remedies you buy on the web is a helth risk, so there you have to be very careful.

cmack

Staff member
Maybe the leaves can be mistaken, but if you pick them in the forest, it´s very easy to see the difference on the flowers. Everything of natural remedies you buy on the web is a helth risk, so there you have to be very careful.
Yes, reasonable caution, and proper education are paramount. Before you proceed with any type of medical treatment, or natural remedy, you should always discuss your intentions with the appropriate healthcare professional(s). We should always respect vitamins and supplements, just like we would any other drugs. We only want good things to happen here. :) I will send my doc an email tomorrow and ask his opinion.