• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Random bad days/nights during remission?

JDTM

OMG LDN BBQ
Hey folks, I'm looking for some answers from people who have experienced extended periods of remission, or who are currently in remission. Do you have any experiences with the occasional "off-day" or "off-night" with somewhat severe symptoms, only to have them resolve themselves and not crop up again for months at a time?

My situation is this: Last night I ended up feeling really lousy -- waves of stomach pain, got up multiple times to use the bathroom, diarrhea, etc. -- but today, aside from a general lack of appetite (which is already coming back), everything seems to be returning to normal. This has happened once before, many months ago, and I was thoroughly checked out. The odd thing was this: my inflammation markers were way down, showing no active inflammation, and I even had an MRI showing a small section of thickening in the TI, but no active inflammation (the area of probable scarring was smaller than when I had my first MRI with active inflammation). So basically, I've been doing well, eating what I want, and only on random occasions things seem to backfire on me and I get sick. Has anyone else out there experienced anything like this?

Again, I don't think this is active inflammation, at least not now -- I don't feel run down like I did when I was flaring, and there is no visible mucous in my stool.

Ironically, this comes on the heels of a day when I was consciously eating "healthy" -- I've been having apples a few times a week without issue, the occasional salad and whatnot, but perhaps I had something that messed with me yesterday (i.e. a bunch of shredded carrots in a casserole of sorts). I'd like to try to lose some weight WITHOUT the aid of a Crohn's flare, thank you very much.

Anyways, if anyone has their own experiences to share that would be awesome.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I spent about 2 years in remission and yes, I would have the occasional bad day as well. It could just be that you ate something that didn't agree with you - even in remission, I still had to try to avoid certain trigger foods (salad was hit or miss in remission, same with pizza, and no matter how well I feel I can never have coconut or I'll feel awful for days). And even in remission, you can still get things like food poisoning and stomach viruses, so it's possible it could have been something like that and it wasn't related to the IBD at all. You did mention scar tissue, so it's also possible that something got a bit stuck there and you may have had a partial blockage that resolved itself. Could be any number of things! But yes, long story short, in remission I'd still have an "off" day here and there which usually seemed to be a fluke and/or due to something I ate which disagreed with me. It sounds like you've only had a couple of these experiences, so I wouldn't worry too much. If it keeps happening, if it lasts longer or happens more frequently, anything like that, then do get it checked out for sure. But if it's just an "off" day every so often and you're otherwise in remission and doing well, I wouldn't worry too much. Still get your routine bloodwork done and stuff like that of course to make sure that everything is still good, but otherwise I personally wouldn't worry.