• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Random scar question...

Hello
I had surgery about 7weeks ago and on my midline scar there were a couple of raised areas. It is all healed over but one looked like a little bubbly around a stitches which may not have fully dissolved. So I know I shouldn't have but I pierced one and a yellow/orange oil substance came out...!
Any idea what this is?
It didn't smell bad so I rubbed it into the scar and for some reason it started to look better than it was before?!?

Thx

Hi!

I would be inclined to pop into your GPs surgery just to get it checked out. If the wound is healing well then the nurse/doctor would remove any stubborn stitches if it looks like they are threatening to cause an infection.

After 7 weeks you shouldn't be getting blistering at the wound site and it could be a warning of infection. The last thing you need is for your wound to break down now after it has healed up well so far.

If it's nothing to worry about, then there's nothing lost. If there is a problem, the sooner it is sorted, the better. Removing the stitches and monitoring things may be all that is needed. At worst you might be prescribed a short course of antibiotics to get on top of things before they get any worse.

Please don't leave it to get any worse before you seek help.

Good luck.

Terriernut

It could be infection brewing, and you should have a swab taken to determine it. It could also be the liquid that forms by the body for healing (ie; before a scab forms) What that is called I cant for the life of me remember!

But better safe than sorry and have it checked.

I will try and get an appointment with practice nurse and see what he/she thinks... I'm trying to get a dermatology appointment as well to see what they can about the scars generally... I know there's no miracle cream that will make them vanish but something will be better than nothing, plus I hope to have another reversal scar by the new year :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
That fluid is an infection brewing. Had the same thing happen to me yet was much worse, started vomiting and have to let the wound heal from the inside out for a month. Was a lovely orange goo type color that spilled out. Always have stuff like that looked at ASAP.

Scars become less noticeable with time.