• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Rash...grrrr

Nyx

Do any of you get rashes for no reason? Off and on for a while now I've been getting a rash on my shins and calves. I used to think it came on because of shaving, but I haven't shaved and here it is again. Except, it's worse this time...it's moved to my thighs now too. It's red and bumpy, kind of like a heat rash, and itchy as hell!! Fortunately, they only last a few days, but those few days are like when I had chicken pox when I was young. I'm trying not to scratch but all I really want to do is rip my skin off...lol Any suggestions?

annawato

Staff member
Nyx, I don't get any rashes but you can get them as a part of crohn's. Or it could be a reaction to something - anything from soap or moisturiser to to the type of washing powder you use. You could try taking an antihistamine to see if that helps, then you'll know if its an allergy thing. Also bathing in pinetarsol or using calamine lotion is said to help but I think it depends on what is causing the itchiness. My son gets hives and itchiness and nothing helps and it drives him mad so I really do feel for you. If none of that helps, like Pops said, get your doctor to check it out. In the meantime you have my heartfelt commiserations - being itchy is awful.

I used to get weird rashes from time to time all over my body. It was explained to me by my dermotoligst this way: Your auto immune disease has weakened your bodies nature defenses on your skin as well that can cause an over growth of bateria and others causing infections and rashes.
I was told wash my whole body once a week with Selsun Blue or whatever store brand that has Selenium Sulfide in it. Since I've been using it, about 6 months now, I haven't had an out break of any kind.

Nyx

Seems the rash is gone today...sigh...not sure why, but I'm glad!! Thanks for the advice kossy, I'm going to give that a try!