• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Rash

Hi all,

Just wondering - am only diagnosed since Oct gone.

I always had eczema but over the past few monhts it got way worse on my hands and I even developed it on my ankles and feet plus I have patches on my legs now and stomach. My GP said to metnion this at the gastro as sometimes people with IBD can have rashes. Just wond if you have this??

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I get patches of eczema every now and then, mostly in winter due to the dryness of the air. When I visit places with humidity my skin improves....I have heard rashes are a common in IBD patients. Do you treat it with anything?

I use betnovate ointment and emulsfying ointment or parrafin gel to moisturise - I am not v good with using it religiously thats the problem!! I do find if I went on a sun holiday my skin is good. Its so cold here recenlty as well that the heating is on constant drying out skin more I suppose and all of that.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I've gotten in the habit of moisturizing when my skin is still damp after a shower, otherwise I am so itchy. The doctor recommended Eucerin cream. It is as thick as lard, but it isn't greasy. I also put a hydrocortisone ointment on any red areas if needed.

I've always had itchy skin in various areas. When I was diagnosed and put on Pred it all went away for the first while and my skin was better than it had been in years. Now as I'm nearly finished the taper, I have the itchies again, tho not as much as before. I expect it is an inflammation thing.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Gosh...We are all a bunch of itchy belly achers.....I've had skin stuff since I was a kid. I wonder if that is a potential indicator? My youngest son is the same way, ugh! I hope none of them ever get this junk!

I too have patchy Eczema and my Primary Care Doctor said it may be connected because it's an inflammation of the skin. He said usually those treated with meds for Crohn's will show progress. I would definitely bring it up!

Last edited:
I'm just going to add this here as I have other places. I have been battling this yucky rash all over my chest, back, and now neck for around 6 months now. The dermatologist said it is probably from the Remicade. I have been using clindamycin solution - and I now realize after being on a short 2 week pred taper that I needed steroids to get it cleared up. I am off the pred now, but have switched from using the Clindamycin (which I now realize wasn't doing a good job) to Cutivate steroid lotion - which is doing a really good job. I'm just hoping I can get it all the way gone and that it doesn't come back. It drives me crazy with the itching!! I am also on prescription Xyzal for antihistamine help as well.

YES! I get this, had this, went when I started taking the Pred. I get it on my hands and fingers and around my toes. Always thought it was dryness of skin but since I ave noticed it was always bad when I was in a flare (or what I thought was bad IBS at the time).

It was a bit embarrassing when going for interviews and you shake hands offering a scabby palm, not really knowing if its contagious or just eczema. Nice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyshidrosis